2016 INDEX

Saturday, July 20, 2019

July 20, 2019 – “Not yet!”

         That is what I used to say all the time when asked if I had zip-lined or jumped out of an airplane . . . . “Not yet!”

         Recently I realized it has been a long time since I had uttered those words. I started to do some soul searching and fell over a recent writing prompt:

Name one thing, large or small, that could make your life closer to complete – What is keeping you from doing it?

         Then I realized I am using a new phrase saying, “It is what I want and I am going to have it!” while thinking, I am not sure how, but I will figure it out.

         I’ve moved from wishing to having.

         Two examples:  First my footwear.

         My first break through was Trotter flats that feel delicious on the feet, but are expensive as H_____ - no easy way to say that.  They are leather, they are stylish classic, and they have a perfect arch support for my foot.

         I’d gotten my first pair of Trotter’s only a few years back when a shoe store was deciding to no longer carry the Trotter brand.  I tried on and grabbed a couple pair at half price.  Up until that day, I had felt they were out of my price range as I’d never had the courage to even try that brand on.

         WOW, my feet were HAPPY, HAPPY

         But, why should “out of my price range” stop anyone from not having what they want or actually need?  For years it did for me. Now the fog is slowly lifting.

I realize I am beyond the half-way mark in life and there are things I have always wanted and never had due to trying to be frugal.

         What has frugality gotten me so far in the shoe department?

               Sore feet.

               Shoes that wear out.

               Shoes that are unstylish.

         Is that being frugal?  No.  That is being miserable; miserable for years.
        
         People look at my feet – Yes, they do and I can tell when they are admiring what I have on my feet or not just by the look on their faces. 

         [Yes, I do get the tip to toe look all the time – no I am not gorgeous – everyone is merely assessing me in their path.] That is why I try my best to have a “good hair day every day” and proper footwear – not bedroom slippers in the grocery story.

         It is my vain habit of deflecting the “first impressions are a lasting impressions” that was drummed into me as a young women by Mom and  Dad.  They were right; people guess who you are by how you dress. And, they treat you like how you are dressed – that is my working opinion and yes it is snobbery.

         But, what surprises me is the snarky remarks that are not meant as compliments.

         “My mother had shoes like that . . .”

         I simply press a smile on my face and wonder why I am getting a slam for being a) comfortable, b) stylish and c) appropriately dressed, as in shoe color coordinated with my outfit – why use the word had?

         If that isn’t an upside down compliment – explain it to me. If I can currently purchase such shoes from several different locations – why use the word had ?  Maybe they just don’t have command of the English language.

         I have concluded – it is not me – it is them.  Moving on -

         Second example:  My dream of a beautiful walkway and driveway for my home.

         Why?

               Increase the value of my home immediately through curb appeal.

               Ease of sweeping or blowing leaves in the fall.

               Immediately improve the look of my gardens.

               No longer ruins my shoes stepping into mud or standing water.

               Decrease the sand, gravel, dirt tracked into my home saving me housekeeping time.

         I am about half-way done on my dream driveway.  This broken foot has set me back 6 weeks – maybe a few more.  I might have to do it slower due to the mid-summer heat and the healing of my foot, but it will get done.


What thing, large or small, have you never done, but still could 
that would make your life feel a little closer to complete?
                             
What’s keeping you from doing it?

No comments: