2016 INDEX

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Peals of laughter from my remark


January 1, 2020 – Peals of laughter from my remark

   

      Often I receive compliments on the fleece cardinal vest I purchased years and years ago.  It goes with everything, even jeans.  Today I wore it over a gunmetal grey top and coordinating pants to Hobby Lobby to poke around to look for a couple of things.  There were no wreath storage containers left, but I did pick up a Valentine’s Day front door decoration.

         While in the fabric department one of the sales gal asked,

         “Did you make that vest from fabric you bought here?”

         “No, I got it from a fat women’s catalog, but every time I wear it I get compliments on it.” 

         She broke up in laughter, the stock gal kneeling to put things on a lower shelf stood up to see and laughed, and the third gal with a shopping cart filled with additional bolts of fabric to be put out looked at her two co-workers and wanted to know what was happening, “what,” she said.

         “She said she got that vest from a fat women’s catalog,” as she continued to laugh.  The third gal cracked up in laughter too.

         I wasn’t expecting to strike such humor with my remark  – but then all three gals were about a size 2 or size 4, all very young and I must look like an odd woman to them.

         As my ½ yard of St. Patrick Green material was being measured and cut, the gal who had the cartful of bolts of fabric commented, “I never heard anyone call a catalog a fat women’s catalog.”

         “The catalog probably has small sizes too – but this fat gal calls it the fat woman’s catalog.  If I didn’t still color my hair, I might call it the grey-haired woman’s catalog,” I answered

         More laughs ensued.  Gosh, I didn’t know I was a standup comedian.   All three cheerily wished me a lovely day and I was on my way.  What sweet people at Hobby Lobby.



Take a chance!
All life is a chance.
The person who goes the furthest is generally
the one who is willing to do and dare.

Dale Carnegie

          

No comments: