2016 INDEX

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

September 20,  2016 – French Women and the scarf.


               In 2003, Glenn Close was in a movie entitled “Le Divorce”. She was not the lead role, but her character, Olivia Pace, an American Journalist had a conversation about the French women and the scarf.  In the movie, during the below musing by Olivia Pace, there is a montage of French women wearing scarves in the various ways she is describing. 
              

“All their customs and ceremonials.

I mean, their scarves alone...

an entire chapter.

Knotted in front, one end down,

other end thrown over the shoulder.

Or looped around double

and the ends tucked in.

Or around the shoulder,

over their coat like a shawl.

Or tied in the back.

I mean, châle, foulard, ècharpe.

Just think of all the words

they have for scarf.

And in a language which is

very sparse in vocabulary.” [see NOTE]


              
               I find this montage spell binding every time I watch the film.  I have always loved wearing scarves.  I have a whole wardrobe of them.  During a trip to Europe I bought a scarf in every country [they pack well] and on the airplane home my husband bought me a Hermés scarf which I cherish.   

               I have found that “less is more” when it comes to a scarf.  Fuss with it less, the better it looks.  You toss it on and go out the door – it is as simple as that.  The second thing I have discovered is it all has to do with the fabric.  Some fabric is perfect, silk for example, drapes with folds that have body.

               I have been known to actually buy a scarf and then make a dress to go with it. [Taupe worsted wool dress for the fawn, cream, and taupe, shawl-size bird scarf I bought at a train station when leaving London.]  I love that scarf – seems to go with everything in my fall wardrobe.

               I have additionally purchased printed chiffon and made my own scarfs.  It is tedious work creating a small rolled hem, but well worth it when it comes to compliments. 

               The scarf I draped myself in the [September 19, 2016, blog that earned me the title “flagship of the family”] I made.  It is an oversized square of chiffon which has a creamy yellow gold background with a chestnut, cinnamon, and taupe colored botanical design.  [I hate to admit it, but it happens to look much like the leaves and the flower heads of the Johnson grass that I have been battling with.  See my September 15, 2016, blog. Isn’t that curious?]

               One of my favorites is actually a piece of artwork that I bought on my sailing trip to Gloucester, Massachusetts. [See September 5, 2016 – Blog about the trip].  It is a large square with an unusual shade of blue. When you hold it up to blue it looks purple, when you hold it up to purple it looks blue.  As close as I can tell, it is a dark periwinkle blue.

               The artist took a large square of silk fabric, stretched it out like a canvas. Then she took local sea oats, also known as seaside oats, dipped them into various colored paints and slammed them against the silk canvas multiple times for an imprint of the grassy reed in two directions.  It has purple, navy blue, and a touch of black.  The scarf does not go well with everything – but works extremely well with black. I often feel sort of smug in knowing I am wearing a piece of modern art.  How many people can say they are wearing an “original” and it actually is an art canvas, sort of?

               The silk has great “hand” and it is very slippery – so I have to use caution and pay attention when I am wearing it or it could simply disappear – slip off and be left in a theatre or restaurant.  And, since it is a work of art I try not to over wear it, I save it for special.  Personally, I would like to try my hand at such an artistic project but I haven’t been able to find the right colored fabric for my experiment.

               If you admire someone wearing a scarf – ask her how to tie it.  You will be surprised at how welcoming us scarf wearers are at giving lessons.  We have a whole pocket full of little tricks.



No comments: