2016 INDEX

Saturday, September 3, 2016

September 3, 2016 - End of Summer Basil Tomatoes

The gardens are winding down with this incredible drought these last few weeks.  I finally pulled everything out in avenue 4 except the Waltham winter squash vines that need to naturally dry before I pluck the fruit to keep over winter.  I make a mean Golden Beef Stew with winter squash changed out for potatoes - I promise I will share it.

The raised bed nearest the house I am still trying to keep the green pepper plants and the rainbow Swiss chard watered along with those lovely little nasturtiums. If I can keep them alive until cool and wet fall weather, I may get some more lovely blooms.

So it has been vegetable garden clean up the last few weeks and the tomato crop is now over at Quail Thicket.

This year I grew two types of tomatoes.  Beefsteaks for those 1/2 inch slabs of sun ripe tomatoes to completely cover the slice of bread for a tomato sandwich.  YUM - SUMMER! And then Fantastic for smaller, rounder more uniform tomatoes for salads.

I also grow fresh basil every year for the one thing I simply love in late summer - my End of Summer Basil Tomatoes.

Recipe: End of Summer Basil Tomatoes

1 packet of Good Season's Italian salad dressing mix
red wine vinegar
good olive oil
6 to 8 unblemished fresh basil leaves - just picked is best - small tender ones
4 to 6 large fully ripe tomatoes 
Loaf of crusty French bread.

Core tomatoes and cut off any blemished skin.  Slice into thick 1/2 inch slices - across the fruit.  Then dice into 3/4 inch pieces.  Place diced tomatoes in a colander to drain off excess juice for about 15 minutes to half an hour.  Meanwhile, prepare the dressing by the package directions EXCEPT do not add the water.   Place all basil leaves in the same direction and make a stack of them.  Roll into one bundle.  With a sharp knife slice them into 1/16th inch slivers.  OR, if you have two left thumbs in the kitchen - you can nicely snip them one or two at a time with kitchen shears to get thin strips.  Toss the drained tomatoes with the basil and enough dressing to coat, [sometimes I use all of it] in a bowl with a tight lid.  Shake or turn over and back several times to mix well.  Refrigerate at least 4 hours tossing once or twice.  

Serve chilled.   Serve in individual small bowls so all the basil enriched dressing can be savored and soaked up with some crusty French bread.  We prefer to "rip the bread off".  But you can slice it into neat rounds if you prefer.  

I don't salt and pepper it when I make it as I find the Good Season's dressing has enough for my palate.  But, have sea salt and rough crushed black pepper available for your guests.

A full bodied red wine goes well with this. 

It is the perfect patio food for late sultry summer evenings.  Be sure to linger until the fire flies come out to delight and charm you.

If you have left overs - tastes great the next day as well.




No comments: