2016 INDEX

Sunday, September 25, 2016

September  25, 2016 – Lounge “Liz-zard” relocation team 

The other day I discovered a little friend in the house.  He is one of those black lizards with the cobalt blue tail.  He is about 5 or 6 inches.  I think he got in through a crack between the window screen and the window near the computer.  This is one of those windows where I put a box fan on occasion and the same window where my fat, fluffy calico cat, Jasmine, sits in often to monitor my computer time.  I think her fatness has pushed the window screen askew.  Yes, I have window fans; we are too cheap to get the central air conditioning replaced.  My husband is holding out for just “repairing” it.  And, I am waiting for my proverbial ‘ship to come in’ for a complete replacement.  Now back to the story.

My husband thinks he came jumping over the front door threshold in a hurry to scurry somewhere.  My husband says they don’t climb on the side of the house and I say ‘au contraire’ because I see them on the back of the house near the hose turn on valve.  I think they go up there to catch bugs.

Either way, we’ve a lizard in the house.  More specifically we have a Five-lined Skink, Eumeces fasciatus. After a little bit of research, I believe that is what we have; but since I have not been able to catch one and inspect one up-close-and-personal against a Roger Tory Peterson Guide that is as close as I can get to a proper identification. We call them lizards; I didn’t realize they are called “skinks” here in the South.

“Mr. Liz-zard,” as my husband has named him, is quick.  I haven’t been able to get close enough to pop a clear plastic pie lid over him.  That is my plan, then slide a piece of cardboard under him – very slowly – or maybe one of those slippery tuflex shipping envelopes.  That would probably slide better.  I’ve caught a glimpse of him twice now – last time he ducked under the Chinese chest.

We enjoy seeing these cobalt blue tailed lizards. But they do give me a fright when I step out the back door and they are on the step.  I usually gasp as I catch sight of them, thinking it is a snake at my feet, until I realize it is a harmless lizard.  They are lightning fast and zip just far enough away to turn and look back at us.

In the early spring when I am dividing my Hostas, I usually find them in the large pots of moist peat moss I store near my potting bench.  Since they have caused me a fright in the past, I have my husband “spot me” as I dump a 10 gallon pot of peat moss onto a tarp to verify no lizards are sleeping or hibernating in my peat.  Often I’ve dislodged one or two and they dash away; then I scoop up the peat and take it to where I am planting or re-potting.  I don’t want to hurt the little fellas.

A few hours later I see Mr. Liz-zard zip towards the bookcase.  Jasmine has been in her observation spot all day and I think she is keeping tabs on him.

By evening Mr. Liz-zard has made it to the threshold of the master bedroom.  I am lying on the bed reading a book. The night stand lamp is on and out of the corner of my eye I see movement.  I don’t turn my head, I shift my eyes and see him creep slowly into the puddle of light.  I wonder if he is cold.  I go back to my book.  Two paragraphs later I slip off the bed on the far side and snag a dirty t-shirt from the laundry basket.  I creep slowly near him and he catches my shadow and slips away instantly.

I go back to reading my book and after a time, he comes back to the pool of light.  I adroitly drop the t-shirt on him - but again, he is too fast.  NO, he is lightning fast and I don’t see where he slips off to.  Jasmine comes to join me and is sniffing Mr. Liz-zard's trail.

Shortly, my husband comes to inspect the lizard zone.  Jasmine is now prowling around the basket of magazines less than a foot from where Mr. Liz-zard last slipped to safety.  Jasmine is intently interested and my husband pulls out one magazine and voilà – spies our little friend.  He tosses the same dirty t-shirt over the basket and takes the basket and the ride-along lizard out to the front lawn and gently unloads the basket.  Mr. Liz-zard is “gone in a flash” to catch up with his gal or to tell his friends of his adventures.

Happy ending for all.


NOTE:  Information from North Carolina WILD; Wildlife Profiles – link below


http://www.ncparc.org/WG-EO/NCWRC%20species%20profiles/Reptiles/skinkfivelined.pdf

No comments: