2016 INDEX

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

January 11, 2017 – Glycerizing method of Magnolia Leaves

          It is an unusual time of year to try this, but I had winter storm damage a few days ago, as discussed in my January 8, 2017 blog.   I am trying this technique on a frozen branch, versus a fall season green branch.  I am optimistic and like a challenge.  So, we can either try it and it succeeds or it fails.  But, at least I am giving it a try.  I like interesting experiments.  We will see.

          I drug the broken limb from the upper crown of my Magnolia tree in doors and took stem cuttings between 15 and 18 inches long.  I cut up the center of the stems an inch or so in order to open them up.  You can also pound them in order to assist in the solution being taken up the vascular system of the stem.

          I collected all the tall vases I could find in the house and grouped like length stems into assorted vases.

          I had some Glycerin from a prior project and used it to make the 1 part glycerin to two parts water and plunged a handful of stems in one vase.

          I ordered more Glycerin on line as none was available in this area. [Usually drug stores sell it.]

          The rest of the vases I filled with stems and added salt to the water to keep them in what I call a “holding pattern”.  Hopefully I can keep them nicely hydrated until my Glycerin arrives.

          When the new stock of Glycerin arrives, I will re-cut the stems and plunge them in solution.

          Several years ago I tried this technique on fresh green eucalyptus stems. It turns the green foliage a leathery copper color when it is complete.  The stems last for years in arrangements.

          The Magnolia leaves will turn a soft brown that are leathery.  When they turn out, I will use them to make a Magnolia wreath or Magnolia swag.

Recipe:

          Glycerin [obtained from a drug store]

          One part glycerin to two parts water.

          This process takes about six weeks.  Every few days add more solution so that the stems are consistently submerged.  The glycerin will rise through the stems into the foliage and turn them a bronze. When the leaves are supple and bronze, the process is complete.  The treated Magnolia leaves will last for years.

          Other items you can try are hydrangea blooms.  I may try those next year when mine bloom.


          I will check back with you during this process and will advise the outcome.  

No comments: