2016 INDEX

Friday, January 20, 2017

January 20, 2016 – Monique – my sewing mannequin



As well as gardening, I am big into sewing my own clothes.  WHY?  Because I am not the perfect size and I can fix that with adjusting the pattern.

I am actually a very accomplished seamstress.  In my hay day of sewing I made winter coats – with dozens of buttons, or faux fur lined.  I made suits that were embellished with contrasting piping and beautiful button holes.  I made everything from pajamas to shorts to elegant dresses for girlfriend’s weddings.  I even made an entire merino wool wardrobe for my romp across Europe one winter.  That is one of the reasons I am SO FUSSY when it comes to buying clothes. 

In fact, I made my wedding dress – it was an ivory lace jacket with a sleek keyhole neckline floor length dress with skinny straps that crisscrossed my back in a brand-new-knit fabric that glimmered and didn’t wrinkle.

My Mom was always proud that I could sew well, but when it came to my wedding dress she said, “Can’t you just this once buy your wedding dress?” 

Of course, I said, “Why would I?  I know if I make it, it will fit.”

When she saw the dress, she understood.

OOPS – off point – sorry I digressed . .

I purchased a mannequin and fitted it to my Rubenesque size and she resided in the guest room corner dressed scantily in a black lace slip and black flowered hat so that she made a whimsical note when noticed.  And, I named her Monique.

My girlfriends found her amusing at the same time they were in awe as they knew I actually used her to fit my new creations.  My husband got a chuckle out of her that I had her dressed so sexy.

One day I came home early from work with the flu.  You know how you feel fine when you leave for work and then suddenly early afternoon you feel like you have been run over by a cement truck? That is how I felt.  At the time my husband was on the swing shift – 12 hour days and he would get home about 9:00 p.m. at night.

When I got home I pulled on my pajamas, made myself a cup of hot tea and filled a hot water bottle with the intention of crashing in bed. I was about to leave a note for my dear husband, but knew from experience that he might not notice it at the end of his long shift.

I carried Monique my mannequin down from the guest room and stood her just inside the door he would come in when he got home.  

I pinned the following message on a piece of paper to her bodice:

“Monsieur:

Mistress is sick in bed with the flu.
Please make her a cup of hot tea with lemon and honey
and some cinnamon toast and gently wake her.

Monique”

 Monsieur did as he was instructed - thus begun the love affair of Monsieur and Monique.


No comments: