2016 INDEX

Friday, January 27, 2017

January 27, 2017 – Could you make potato salad?

          I hesitated when asked, “Sure, but it is not my specialty . . . .” I let my sentence trail off hoping the Deacon’s wife would suggest something else.

          She picked up on my hesitant answer and explained.   “Our usual potato salad gals are out of town, one on vacation, the other having a new grandchild – she is with her daughter.”   It was enough of a pep talk for me to jump into the “funeral food – Potato salad” role.

          “Sure, no problem and I’ll make deviled eggs as well.” I said cheerily.

          “Good, we never have enough deviled eggs.”  She answered and went down her list as other women came forward to let her know if they could help and what they would bring.

          Let me explain.  Our church, the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church does a luncheon for the family and friends after the funeral Mass and after the internment at the cemetery [if one] so that the family and friends can congregate and fellowship to help in the mourning process.  Everyone is there, and it makes it very convenient for the family. 

The ladies in our Ladies Guild at our church put on the luncheon.  There is a group of very dedicated ladies and as time permits I am available, or if working, I prepare something and drop off before I have to go to work because I feel it is so important to care for the grieving.

          I try to bring something “healthy” without MGS in it or something in season.  Then, there are times when I just bring deviled eggs or chocolate brownies.  I heard it said, “It isn’t a proper funeral luncheon without deviled eggs at our church.”  I have it on good authority from my Southern Belle friends deviled eggs are a funeral tradition. 

Next on the traditional funeral food list is chocolate brownies and then there is always the potato salad to go along with the cold meat trays.

          Another Southern friend who turned funeral food, attending to the grieving family, and going to the funeral into almost an art form told me the perfect funeral food is “fried chicken” or a “pot roast” [with all the fixings] for the immediate family the night before the funeral when the clan is gathering.

          Yes, my Southern friends and the Ladies Guild have schooled me in the funeral etiquette here in Forest City, North Carolina.

          Funerals are simply different here in the South compared to my limited experience in New England.

          So, I go with flow and follow instruction of the nice ladies in my church guild.

Now you are wondering - Why did I hesitate?

          My husband and I have been a household of two for all the years we have been married.  When I have to take a dish to an outing or a picnic or function I usually do something “in season” or something elegant – like a chocolate mint mousse.

          I might make potato salad once or twice a summer.  Why? It is loaded with mayonnaise and calories and as you can tell by my photo – I am not a light weight and have never been a light weight and am constantly watching what I eat to try to not go past the Rubenesque size. [Oh, I don't have to watch anymore, everyone else seems to be watching for me.]

          I was never crazy about my Mom’s potato salad – she didn’t make it that often either and I have been hesitant all my life about potato salad. Sometimes it is yellow, sometimes so white you can’t see the potatoes and sometimes there are bits of something I can’t identify.  I am not sure until I taste it – “Is that pickled relish?”  Actually, it is the last thing I tend to put on my plate at any type of gathering.

          So, having to bring a bowl of potato salad to a group setting – I couldn’t make my potato salad that only serves two with no left overs.    I had always made it by “taste”.  I mix the ingredients together; then taste it to see if it has enough mayonnaise. I go very slowly on the mayonnaise.  But, then I have heard people say under their breath at a funeral function – “potato salad was dry” or “too much mayonnaise”.  How can I tell when I am a “potato salad novice?”

Good GOSH, I might be found out by church ladies! 

          So, I bought a fresh bag of potatoes and peeled them and kept them in water so that they didn’t turn dark as I worked on peeling them.  I boiled them and drained them.  And set to work.

          I took my favorite small blue bowl and made potato salad for two – with the different ingredients I usually use in the quantity I usually make and when it was done – I tasted it.  I then transferred that into a large bowl.

I continued this process of making potato salad for two . . . when it tasted right, I transferred it into the large bowl. When I had no more cooked potatoes to make into potato salad for two, I then folded all the different batches together in the large bowl and sealed it tight with cling wrap and popped it into the refrigerator for delivery the next day.  It seemed like I tasted enough potato salad for three years.

All during the funeral luncheon I was on edge.  At the end of the luncheon once the family and friends have all eaten, the ladies who do the luncheon slip out and make a plate for themselves and take into the kitchen.  I noticed there was still some potato salad left and we had a big group – about 75 people to lunch. 

I watched one luncheon worker bite into the potato salad and then glanced at another and watched her bite into the potato salad.  I had trepidation.

“How is the potato salad?”  I ask.

The Deacon’s wife turned to listen to the answer seeing that I am concerned.

“Nice, not dry like some is . . .  who made it?” 

“Me.”  I said adding in a whisper, “I’ve never made a big batch of potato salad before – so it was rather difficult.”

“Difficult?”  She quizzed having another bite of potato salad.

Another spoke up, “It’s good.” They all looked at me with questioning eyes.

I said, “I rarely make potato salad . . . I’ve only cooked for two people my entire married life.   I had to make it in portions for two so that I wouldn’t mess it up. I wasn’t sure how I would multiply the rest of the ingredients to make a big batch.  I was afraid I would ruin it so I made it in portion for two, another portion for two and when I was done, I folded it all together in one big bowl.  Does it really taste okay?”

There were snickers, giggles, and amused smiles all around.


The Ladies Guild hasn’t asked me to make it since which is fine with me, I am better at deviled eggs and chocolate brownies anyway. 

No comments: