2016 INDEX

Thursday, March 16, 2017

March 16, 2017 – My French grandmother used to say we were Irish

          I can always call out the date of St. Patrick’s Day – March 17th.  It is my French Grandmother’s birthday and I often think of her at this time of year.  When our family visited her on her birthday when I was a kid she would often say,

          “You know, St. Patrick was French.”  She was a small woman with few words and would have a soft smile and would not say much more.  As a young child I believed it and even now mention it often when everyone is talking about St. Patrick.  That is how I claim my “Irish” identify even if I don’t have any.  But then, why would my mom and my husband call me “Bridget” if I didn’t have at least a wee drop of Irish blood in me?

          There is a little bit of factual historical information about St. Patrick being in France for several years, so maybe my Grandmother learned that when she was a child and added that to her birth date and from that she simply passed on her little Irish heritage to me.  Now that it has been passed along to me, I am not letting it go.

          I think everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day or should be.  Many years I have addressed my St. Patrick’s Day’s cards with “O” in front of peoples’ surnames in order to elicit a private chuckle out of it and pass along a temporary membership in “Irishness” to them.

          That is what St. Patrick’s Day is for me:  A beautiful holiday to enjoy, to have fun, to speak some blarney, actually speak lots of blarney.   Drink some Irish whiskey and then some more whiskey, dance a jig, sing some Irish ballads off key in the boisterous crowd, wear green and pinch those who wear orange.  And, loosen up and say “Kiss me I’m Irish” when at an Irish pub.

          Once a year I make corned beef and drink wonderfully chilled stout beer with it.  It is mine and my husband’s Irish Holiday that doesn’t cost us much as we park our jobs or life on hold for 12 to 24 hours to just enjoy the moment in a corned beef dinner, an Irish coffee, or a nice tumbler of Jameson whiskey on the rocks.

Let me tell you I am a serious Irish coffee snob.  YES, if they don’t have real Irish whiskey and real coffee, I don’t order it as it is not what I consider Irish coffee. This food snob says – you can keep your Bailey’s Irish Crème – YUCK [is my opinion].

Recipe:
Irish Coffee - International Bartenders Association version

TYPE                     Mixed Drink

Primary
Alcohol                  Irish whiskey

Served                   Hot

Drinkware             Irish Coffee Mug

IBA specified
Ingredients           2 parts Irish whiskey
                             4 parts hot coffee
                             1 ½ parts fresh cream [whipped]
                             1 tsp brown sugar

Preparation           Heat coffee whiskey and sugar;
                             Do not boil.
                             Pour into Irish Coffee Mug [glass]
                             Top with cream
                             Serve hot


Being a certificate holding bartender I have lots of useless bits of interesting information:

 The two brands that I am most familiar with and readily available here in the United States are Jameson Irish Whiskey and Old Bushmills Distillery.  Jameson is said to be the Catholic whiskey and the Protestant whiskey is Bushmills based solely on geography.  We were given this little tidbit of information to forestall a heated discussion.  It was also suggested to us it might be wise to have bucket of cold green beer on hand to dump on the roughians if a donneybook broke out.

The word “whiskey” is derived from a Gaelic phrase meaning “water of life.”  Irish whiskey was once the most popular spirit in the world, however, declined from the last of the 19th century onward.  But, it is now making a comeback.

          The bottom line on Irish coffee is that it is hot coffee, Irish whiskey, stirred in sugar, then topped with whipped cream.  Irish coffee is drunk through the cream so that you end up with a cream mustache.

Maybe that is why there is the saying:
“Kiss me I’m Irish.”

What better way is there to wipe away the cream?

No comments: