2016 INDEX

Friday, August 10, 2018


August 10, 2018 – You know you are a gardener when . . .


         I came upon “37 ways to know you’re addicted to gardening” – see link below.

         I will share with you the ones that are “spot on” – that describe me perfectly.  The number one reason made me laugh because it is so true.

         Your neighbors recognize you in your pajamas, rubber clogs and a cup of coffee.

That’s me!  That is the best part of the day, walking out into the garden in the heavy dew, with the early morning light scanting in and the birds just waking up and chattering.  If you are not out there in your pajamas – you must live in the city.  It is also the best time to cut fresh flowers for your desk or kitchen table.

          You have to wash your hair to get your fingernails clean.

Someone has found out my little secret.  Even though I wear garden gloves, it doesn’t stop the dirt sifting threw. When my nails are in really bad shape – I scrub the shower stall without gloves to get my fingernails clean.

         You find yourself feeling leaves, flowers and trunks of trees wherever you go, even at funerals.

         Yes – been actually caught at it and questioned about it.  When I have non-gardener visitors to my garden, I will pluck a leave of a Stachy’s – Lambs ears – and hand it to the visitor so that they can feel the softness.  Just that simple act – them feeling the incredible softness of the leaves usually plants the seed of gardening in them.  Or, sometimes it is a tip of lavender or lemon balm; something with fragrance that delights them.  Be sure to delight your senses every day – that is what gardening is really about.

         You take every single person who enters your house on a “garden tour”.

         Even in the off-season I do this and even if they don't wish to.  I am the strong arm type.  Right now - I'd show off my Caladiums.



         Enjoy the rest of the 37 ways to find your “spot on” favorites at:




No comments: