2016 INDEX

Tuesday, August 28, 2018


August 28, 2018 – Re-landscaping foundation without shrubs.

         This morning I dug up a clump of overgrown Siberian Iris Caesar’s Brother, Iris sibirica, and chopped it up into 9 pieces and kept some smaller clumps for bringing along in an out of the way place.  The below picture is what it looks like when it is in bloom which is usually the first two weeks of May here in my area.





         I planted them in an undulating method down the front of the foundation where I hacked out the shrubs this last month.  Then I laid in some pine straw to cover the bare ground.


         I am going to try to bring along the lamb’s-ear, Stachys byzantina via sprinkling in some seed.  I am usually successful raising lamb's-ears from seed, but I also have made note of several volunteer plants that I can transplant to quicken the process.



         The lambs ears will be set behind  and around the iris in a 4 to 5 foot undulating “dry river” type format.  Then, I am propagating some purple hearts, Tradescantia  pallida, which I will tuck in here and there next to the lamb’s-ear either at the front or the back – depending on the “digging”.  The purple will give the foundation planting a "pop" in the mid to late summer when we need it the most.



         Possibly, I will have room in the front to toss in some daffodils or red tulips this fall for some spring interest.  We will see how ambitious I am.

         Pictures are worth a thousand words.  It looks a little plain, a little small, but things grow fast and they have all fall and winter to slowly grow and “surprise me in the late spring with flowers”.  But, to me, it looks neat and under control.

         I have the area around the Maple tree planted with Liriope - Monroe - white blossoms. They didn't wilt when I transplanted them last week.  That is a good thing.

        The further end has several perennials that need to be moved later this fall and then I will be re-working that area.  It is still in the mental design phrase - I might not know what that is until I actually dig out what is there and see how the soil is.

         I will be sure to update you further when I get the rest of this together.

         But, the objective was not to plant new shrubs that I would have to trim several times a season and/or cut down in seven to ten years when they got too big.  This may be red clay -but - it sure can grow healthy shrubs that want to take over.  

        This re-planting will need a minimum of effort with a maximum of color a few times a year with the softness of the lamb's-ear river lapping at the base of the upright Siberian Iris leaves.  

     Anticipated maintenance will be to cut back the Liriope leaves to the ground in January to the ground and sprinkle a handful of Osmocote on all the vegetation.  Trim the Siberian Iris spent blooms off in late May and dead head the lamb's-ears after they flower - saving the seed to share with others.  I'll let the purple hearts sprawl as they want to - trim them to propagate more  if too large and in the fall - just cut them to the ground when they have been frosted.  Not much upkeep from my point of view.

        More pictures to come - in the spring when it is more established.  

        I hope this inspires you to do something different when you yank out your old shrubs and decide to plant something more "time friendly" in your gardens.






No comments: