2016 INDEX

Thursday, August 2, 2018


August 2, 2018 – Wisp of a memory of a checkerboard wood bowl

         I got through the coarse sandpaper, then the medium sand paper and finished the tabletop with the fine sandpaper yesterday afternoon.

         When I was in the hardware store a few days ago, I happened to notice a 2-pack of tack cloth and I snapped one up.  It always amazes me when I remember a piece of advice as if it were yesterday and it's still crystal-clear in my mind.

         I don’t happen to remember what item I was refinishing at the time – I’ve “made do” and “made-over” more than my share of furniture in order to furnish a first apartment or make a home look lived in.  Some have been temporary things, and some I’ve kept for years. I don’t remember which project it was, but it was an important step and made a big difference in the final outcome.

         I remember talking with my brother, Ken, on the phone one day and he asked me what I was doing.  I told him I was on the final step sanding with fine sandpaper.  We discussed what type of varnish or shellac or polyurethane finish I was going to use.  He gave me some unsolicited advice,

         “Be sure to wipe it down with tack cloth just before you start.”

         “What is a tack cloth?”  I asked, as I’d never heard of one.

         “It takes the traces of any dust off your wood; you get a much smoother finish,” he continued.

         “You can buy one or make your own . . . .” then he went into the process of making your own.   I have forgotten what he said about making one, but I was impressed that he knew this stuff.  But, then again, I wasn’t surprised, both he and my eldest brother, Al, had both taken shop in high school and they built things – coffee tables, end tables, and more. And, my Dad knew how to do all this stuff, wood working, plumbing, electrical, gardening, etc.  There was very little my Dad didn’t know how to do.  Both Ken and Al sucked it up like sponges and both make things and fix things just like Dad.

         I remember my brother Ken made a two-tone wood bowl.  It was a checkerboard thing.  I am guessing now, but I think you cut two different kinds of wood, [one dark, one light] and glue them together in layers then stack them in the opposite direction. [I know checkerboard cookies are made that way, so I am assuming it is the same process.]

Ken was into this project and I caught a few glimpses of the beginning and the middle and almost the end of the process.  After the wood was stacked, he would turn it on the lathe in order to get a bowl effect.

         I don’t remember that much, I was a teenager at the time and working at the local soda fountain/burger place down at the bottom of our road.  I was too busy living my young life at the time to pay attention to one of his “masterpieces”.

         When I am in art studios, or upscale shops I always take time to stop and admire the beautiful two tone wood items.  I have even considered buying a cutting board or a salad bowl with a checkboard design.  But, I am usually put off by the price tag.  I am too cheap, yet I understand the labor cost involved.

         So, back to my project . . . I tore the tack cloth out of the bag and wiped the table down and applied the first coat of finish a half hour ago.  One coat done, and there will be a few more coats before I get the shine I want. The project is coming along fine. [The house is upside down, but the project is coming along fine.]

         Just now, my husband stopped in front of my desk as I type this and stated, “The wood has sucked up all your finish, you’ll have to do another coat.”

         “Yes dear.”

         “I remember that table you did down in Florida – that had a beautiful finish,” he went out to get the mail.

         Mentally I answer him, 'this one will too'.
        

No comments: