2016 INDEX

Friday, August 31, 2018


August 31, 2018 – Fast tip/trick – sort of a slight of hand & Index

         After being off my feet to heal my hamstring I had to attack the jungle of weeds that had grown up for the last 6 to 8 weeks.

         I have a sky pencil holly near the front of the house that seems to have more wild morning glories than I can keep weeded.  During my being laid up, it became entangled all the way to the top – six feet with this wild morning glory vine.

         I was hot and sticky from fighting with the very durable vine and the limbs were getting all akimbo as I yanked and eventually had to cut the vine off the shrub.  Because I had “pushed” it too long out in the heat and the sun I didn’t want to go traipsing in with my muddy shoes, take them off, and then find the twine to snug the shrub back into it’s tall, lean, pristine look.  I’d probably just collapse in the cool house and that wouldn’t do for my nice shrub.

On a wild impulse, I cut enough of the wild morning glory vine that I’d taken off the shrub, pulled off most of the leaves and then neatly tied lengths of it around the shrub at the top and midway where the limbs were akimbo. The limbs of the shrub are now neat again.

         I thought it was a darn clever trick – it will rot away in time, but it pulled the branches back in where they belong. By the time it does rot away, the shrub will be tall, lean and pristine once more.

         I attempted to take a picture of it – not sure you can see the vine – but add that one to your hat tricks – it saves time taking off your muddy shoes and going in the house to “hunt” string or jute.

         Since I have half an acre of Kudzu Vine along the back property line – maybe I will just use that to strap up my leaning Chrysanthemums.  There’s an idea.




AUGUST 2018 INDEX


August 1, 2018
“I am not allowed to ask that question.”
August 2, 2018
Wisp of a memory of a checkerboard wood bowl
August 3, 2018
Funny thing, I do the same thing.
August 4, 2018
The context of a word – oligarch
August 5, 2018
Puddle walking
August 6, 2018
Hacks is now the word for tips and tricks?
August 8, 2018
Status, bit of this and that
August 9, 2018
Uncertainty, Stress, Change?
August 10, 2018
You know you are a gardener when . . .
August 21, 2018
Writer’s project for August
August 22, 2018
Lost and Found in Two Acts
August 23, 2018
Re-shrub or no shrubs at all
August 24, 2018
By product of removing shrubs – potential end table
August 25, 2018
First section of planting new front foundation
August 26, 2018
Not as I do, but as I say
August 27, 2018
Nomenclature, or what is in a name
August 28, 2018
Re-landscaping foundation without shrubs
August 29, 2018
The grocery bag trick – revisited
August 30, 2018
Revisiting Kondo’s tidying book
August 31, 2018
Fast tip/trick – sort of a slight of hand & Index



No comments: