2016 INDEX

Tuesday, August 21, 2018


August 21, 2018 – Writer’s project for August

Prompt:  Write two separate essays (250 words or less each) in two separate points of view – first person, second person, third person, or omniscient.  But, the same story/scene.  Subject:  BACK TO SCHOOL

Like any budding writer, we learn as we practice.  I found first person was easier, and third person or omniscient point of view  still seems out of my grasp. 

Below are my practice attempts.

The bangs

First Person:

          “Brush those bangs out of your eyes.”

          I pushed them back from the center behind both ears.  All summer I had been growing them out.

          “No – to one side like your part,” Mom said disapproving.

          I brushed them to one side as demanded, putting on my sour face and glaring at her.  Maybe she would get the point – I don’t want bangs anymore –  I am twelve.  Bangs are for children.

          “Do you have your key?”

          I nodded and watched her snatch a bobby pin from the self above the kitchen sink and come at me with it in her teeth.

          I looked at the ceiling as she shoved the bobby pin in the bangs scrapping my scalp.

          “Ouch!”

          “It didn’t hurt you.  Smile, or you won’t make any new friends.  Your brother will make sure you get to homeroom.” 

I glanced at my brother, Miles, and he rolled his eyes to the ceiling and grabbed is jacket.

          “I can see the bus – let’s go kid,” he said and shoved me out the kitchen door.

          “Hurry up, they don’t wait like grammar school.”

          I ran behind him.

          Just as the bus stopped and the doors opened, he cautioned me,

          “Only the juniors and seniors sit in the back of the bus, you have to sit near the front.” 

          I wonder if he will show me to homeroom or let me get lost.

I pulled the bobby pin from my hair and slipped into the first empty seat.


Third person:

Laura, twelve now, was a young lady, but still looked like a hippy with those bangs in her eyes.

Mom thought, my two kids at the same school this year.  Only one bus now should make mornings easier.

Laura pushed her bangs to one side, but still not long enough to push behind her ear.

“Do you have your key?” Mom asked.

Snatching a bobby pin from the windowsill, Mom pegged the bangs back and got that nasty dagger look from Laura. 

“Ouch.”

Not a great way to start the first day of 7th grade at the high school, but what can a mother do?  

“Smile so you can make some new friends.” Mom said as she handed their brown bag lunches to them.

“Your brother will make sure you get to home room.” Miles’ feigned an uncooperative attitude.    She shook her head and gave him a stern look before turning away to lean on the kitchen sink.

The screen door slammed.  The morning sun glinted on their auburn hair as they ran to meet the bus two houses down.

The yellow bus swallowed them up and lumbered up the street. 

She could only hope it would be an easy adjustment at middle school moving from class to class instead of staying in one room all day.

She discreetly stepped to the front window hoping to catch a glimpse of her daughter.  No luck, Laura must have sat on the opposite side of the bus.











No comments: