2016 INDEX

Saturday, February 15, 2020

“This is grits” or “These are grits”


February 15, 2020 – “This is grits” or “These are grits”

         I swung the door open to The Skillet and the smell of hamburgers and coffee enveloped me.  Yes, just as I remembered.  It had been years – Five, ten, may fifteen years ago.  Time seems to fly. I don’t remember the last time I’d been in The Skillet.  It was like coming home to a home I remembered all too well, my weekly haunt where I ate lunch, mostly alone, when I worked in Spartanburg, South Carolina.

         Back then, down town didn’t have all those new buildings.  Gosh, the traffic was crazy today, but it was noon time and everyone in all those office buildings was scampering around for lunch.

         There were only a handful of seats at the bar, but there was one table left at the very back and that would work.  I led the way and pointed to the chair opposite me at the big table – seats 4 to 6 comfortably directly in front of the rest rooms.  My husband sat down and looked around.  He had never been here and was surprised that I knew about this place.  I snagged the menu and ordered us ham and cheese omelets with hash browns and coffee.

         “You’ve been here before?”  He asked curiously after he took his first sip of coffee from the old timey ivory ceramic mug.

         “I used to come here all the time when I worked down here,” I answered and then added, “good coffee.”

         “Yeah, it is good coffee.”

         “When did you work down here,” he asked with a blank look.

         I am thinking, YUP, this is his short term memory kicking in, this is the heart operation that caused pockets of lost information. 

         I have been dealing with this for the last eight years.  It is something all spouses deal with when their mates undergo open-heart surgery.  Sometimes it is amusing, but sometimes it hurts.  This time it was an “ouch” because it was proof that his mind had wiped the memory of my legal secretarial career days away as if it was fog casually moped from the car windshield.

         I winched, but tried to ignore it as I should be getting used it.  One day last week, I did lean over and asked him in a backhanded way. 

         “Do you remember the good times as well as the bad times?”

         “Yes, I remember all the good times,” he replied with a soft smile.

         So he knows his memory isn’t stellar anymore and I am dealing with it as best as I can.

         I directed my attention to the restaurant.  Not much had changed.  They had removed the row of booths and turned it into a storage area.  I do remember that the booth seats were shot – we’d sink down deep in them. It was like climbing out of a hole when we would go to leave.  

         A gal I worked with, Stefanie, and I, - OH, what was her last name - it escapes me, used to eat lunch here quite often back then.  I would say, “I am in the mood for a greasy hamburger” and she’d point at me and say, “Skillet!”  The hardest decision was who would drive.  She had a mane of fiery red hair and worked for Duncan and I at the time worked for Phillips and the new associate attorney Smith. 

         I noticed on the back wall of the restaurant was something new to me.  There is a painted canvas of a breakfast plate with the words “This is grits” and “These are grits”.  It made me smile – good old Southern humor.


         I will admit I am late to “grits” as food and must say, on the two occasions I have had ‘Shrimp and grits’ I thought it was mighty fine.

         I picked up a to-go menu so that I could take a trip down memory lane later.  The Skillet has been serving Spartanburg for 70 years. “We hope you return to continue the tradition.”

         Note to self – next time I am hankering for a wonderful burger – drive to Spartanburg and slip onto one of those twirling chrome and red vinyl stools and have me a Skillet burger.

NOTE: Below is the answer to This or These – singular or plural – Jennifer Becton has perfectly answered this vastly debated question. 

Visit her at:

No comments: