2016 INDEX

Saturday, February 1, 2020

Happy Ground Hog Day! Few notes to you ‘all.


February 1, 2020 – Happy Ground Hog Day! Few notes to you ‘all.


         The sun is out – a good thing, but I am not a groundhog, even though sometimes I do belittle myself.

         I have absorbed about fifty pages of B. J. Fogg’s, book entitled “Tiny Habits – The small changes that change everything.”  I do suggest you give it a read, might be helpful changing bad habits or creating good habits depending on your “want to” motivation level.

         I’ve a lovely quote to share now that we are through January and possibly our New Year’s resolutions are lagging.  I say, don’t give up – persist if it is something you truly desire.  That might be the key – is it truly something you desire, or are you doing this for someone else?

         Yes, I started out with three extremely simplistic habits to prove the point I can change tiny habits and I am still with those habits for over a week now.  I am contemplating what to add as my next three tiny habits.  Of course, one habit I did have a bit of a struggle and failure with on one day, but that is what the quote at the end of this blog is all about.  When you fall flat on your face, you try again.  You don’t give up – you figure out what your behavior was lacking – motivation, ability, prompt – what didn’t sync – you re-assess and try again.

         Meanwhile I decided to do a “one-off” habit.   I gave myself exactly two hours to do this project from 10 a.m. to noon time, expecting I would either accomplish it or run over my time.

          I took out all my file folders from my credenza and divided them up into short term and long term.  Short term are those I use daily or monthly.  That small group I put up close and personal with fresh labels and they are filed away.  The second group is the long-term group – not often pulled, but I need to keep them.  You know warranty booklets from major appliances and that sort of stuff.   Those files I’ve alphabetized, purged to thin them out, and refiled them.  A quick look at the clock and five minutes to spare.  One more “habit done” – that will be the yearly straighten my files habit.  YES – Successfully done.  Now I can go out and play in the sunshine.

         I’ve a lovely quote to share now that we are through January and possibly our New Year’s resolutions are lagging.  I say, don’t give up – persist if it is something you truly desire. 

“I have always been delighted at
the prospect of a new day,
a fresh try, one more start,
with perhaps a bit of magic
waiting somewhere behind the morning.”
– J. B. Priestley, Delight



No comments: