2016 INDEX

Saturday, February 8, 2020

And what am I paying for?


February 8, 2020 – And what am I paying for?

Below is an letter to the editor of our local, small town, newspaper.  No, I won't apologize a bit.  There comes a moment when enough is enough and you want to ask - What am I paying for when you have a years' subscription to the local paper.  I doubt you will see it as an editorial in that paper, so I am publishing it here.

         Saturday’s paper I found two repeated articles.  Celebrated book editor Mayhew dies at 87.  Didn’t that run earlier this week?  And, then Jim Mullen’s Village Idiot.  That was in last Saturday’s edition.

         Who is in charge and keeping an eye on things?  I am highly disappointed.  Friday’s paper was a mere 12 pages, the weekend edition is a mere 14 pages.

         And, my big peeve for the week.  I do realize this is a small newspaper and that we don’t have daily editions,  but, I feel cheated, yes cheated that our little town newspaper completely ignored that President Trump was acquitted.  Not a single article, not a blip – nothing, nada.  You could have simply used a series of “quotations” from all the key players as a recap.  But, no – your paper ignored it?

         Okay, so now you don’t even hide that it is a Democratic biased paper?   Even then, shouldn’t you have covered the tearing up of the State of the Union address by a petulant Pelosi and quoted her, “He is impeached forever!”   Excuse me, but I will ask the impertinent Trump sounding question – Why? What is with you guys?  

         Don’t tell me the acquittal is old news. It is a once or twice in a life-time important news. It is the type of news that one clips out of the paper and glues into one’s journal for future reference so that you can tell your grandchildren, and read your personal opinion, jotted down at the time, to them years from now. 

         And you no longer have political cartoons, yet you seem to have daily poems by  Franklin Price – is he some world famous poet – or does he own stock in the paper?

         How can you have a wonderful article by Bonnie Werlinich about the speaker Jeffrey Blount on January 22, 2020, and a follow-up article that was perfect, one day this week, and you don’t have the courtesy to even mention our President, Donald J. Trump’s Impeachment Acquittal? 

         Kudos go to Werlinich for both articles as well as most everything else she has penned.

         I am troubled.  I can see the demise of the printed Daily Courier almost in sight – it is not too far off now, a bit hazy, but it is getting clearer and clearer as the fog and mist lift.

         P.S.  If a writer needs some Democratic news, have them outline the articles in the New Way Forward Act that they are working on in Congress.  That would make for some interesting reading.



No comments: