2016 INDEX

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

November 8, 2016 - The skunk whisperer.


          I stepped out into the chilly fall air this morning and noticed “skunk perfume” still lingered in the air from a nocturnal visitor.   
       

          It reminded me of the morning several years ago we had caught an immature striped skunk in the live-catch-and-release trap we had finally gotten to try to rid ourselves of a mean feral cat that was beating up on the other feral cats.

         We try our best to live in harmony with the critters here in the country and didn’t want one mean feral cat chewing up on the rest of them that were keeping the snakes and mice population down for us. 

          My husband noticed the trapped skunk first.  He was out doing his rounds, filling the bird feeders and every morning he went down toward the back property line under the oak tree to check on the trap.  This time, he stopped halfway to the trap and returned to the house to tell me, “We’ve a little skunk in the trap.”

          Of course, I scrambled to get my clothes on. I was wondering how “HE” was going to get the skunk out without being sprayed.  I watched from the patio in the early morning dew.  I wanted to get closer, but I hung back; I was close enough to see and hear the high-drama interaction of skunk and man.

          Slowly, step by step my husband approached the captured animal.  It was trying to dig its way out.   The skunks little paws were bloody as he had probably been digging at the wire cage bottom all night and had gotten a little bit of dirt piled up behind him. The poor little thing was probably exhausted.  The skunk continued his digging even now. As my husband approached closer the skunk finally stopped and they stared at each other for a pretty long time.   My husband used a soft voice on the little fella. 

          “If you behave, I will let you out,”  he called.

          He stepped a little closer.  The little skunk was looking at him intently.

          “I’m not going to kill you, I will let you out so you can go on your way.”  He stepped a few more steps closer.

          My husband took it real slow – he didn’t want the little critter to take a stance, lift his tail, and spray him.

          He was closer now and he raised the broom handle slowly.

          “It is okay, I will let you go.  You just stay still.  I am going to open the gate. . .”  He talked softly to the little skunk it seemed for the longest time to get his trust.

          In slow motion, my husband moved the broom handle and deftly lifted the gate to open the trap. The little skunk didn’t make a move. His little face and those beady eyes were fixed on my husband and the broom handle.

          The little skunk didn’t seem to realize the cage was open.  Again, my husband talked to him softly,

          “Go on home, the gate is down, go on little “skunk-id . . . .”

          Finally, the skunk waddled out the door, took a sharp turn and headed down through the kudzu, down the banking toward the nearby creek never to be seen again.

         
          My own Skunk Whisperer to the rescue!



In the fact sheet located in the link below it indicates:  “Skunks frequently leave evidence of their feeding:  small, cone-shaped holes in the soil, where they’ve dug for grubs.” 

This morning I noticed our back lawn is simply riddled with these holes.  Maybe our little friend is “bigger” now and has come for a visit seeing that the live-catch-and-release trap is no longer in use.
         
NOTE:  The picture at the top of this blog is a stock photo – not the actual little fella that was captured.  Our little captive had lots of white on his head, back and tail.

Below is a link to Wildlife Profiles – North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission, fact sheet on the Striped Skunk, Mephitis


No comments: