2016 INDEX

Sunday, October 16, 2016

October 16, 2016 - "I Dare You" by William H. Danforth



          Once a month I have a wellness checkup.  The drive is about 50 minutes each way and I usually assess how my month has gone on all levels since the last checkup.

          During this morning’s interstate drive I noticed that the dogwoods are starting to turn a bronze red color, yet the tulip trees look more “dried out” brown leaves than the typical golden yellow of past years.   However, I will try to be optimistic; maybe we will get some color once we get a good frost.  That is usually how it turns out.

          I think about my finances, my job, my husband, and usually send up much needed thank you prayers or other petition prayers.  Sometimes I let my mind wander and sometimes I rein it in.   Today I was beating myself up for being lousy with managing money, lousy at housekeeping the last few days and really hard on myself on my physical fitness and healthy eating routine where I have slacked off.  I was NOT my best friend today – I was reading myself the riot act.  “Get it together girl!”  This was only on the going trip . . . .

          On the return trip I dropped in on a massive yard sale in half a parking lot of a strip mall.   I had the time, and I was curious so I stopped.   Trust me, I don’t really need any more stuff for this house, but I always like to look.  Sometimes there are “treasurers” out there that are surprising.

          The tables were filled with glass wear, old kitchen stuff and then I notice some boxes in their own sort of avenue.  I glance in one and saw a small tome with an unusual burgundy cover.   Is it embossed leather or is it some sort of plastic composite.  It has raised letters on the cover, “I dare you”.   How unusual.

          So, I take the dare and pick it up and flip to the inside to see what sort of copyright date it has.  January 1974, privately printed.  How could I resist?

          I didn’t notice a price, but it was a small book.   Written by William H. Danforth and had a “four-fold development”:  Think Tall, Stand Tall, Smile Tall and Live Tall.   Now, that got my attention.  All good.

          Author’s preface indicated:  “I Dare You” is for the daring few who are headed somewhere.   Well, that is me, I have been blogging for 45 days and it is going to take me somewhere – I am certain of it.

          I noticed below the book was a leather snap day planner or journal?  A journal – never used – how sad or how lucky depending on how you weigh that.  Possibly life was too busy or too hectic and they didn’t get a chance to write, or they had saved it for special and that special never came and these two books were being tossed out because someone was throwing out belongings of someone who had died.   It was red quality leather, with some age; not one page had any notations.   It was probably a special gift that must have been put back and never used.   I surmised these must have come from the same person’s book case as they were in the same box and one on top of the other.

Someone had held onto the “I dare you” book for 40 plus years.  It had to be a “keeper”.

          I flipped to the Table of Contents.  It listed a dozen or so chapters, but the following piqued my attention:

I dare you to be strong
I dare you to think creatively
and
Lauch out into the deep

          Well, I will get these two books.  Let us see what else is interesting at this yard sale.  Seemed like a church or several churches were gathered doing this?  With lots of helpers around, lots of lookers around.

          I milled around.  The crystal vase that sat at an angle on the table – I picked that up and put it down [twice].   Yes, would be nice, but why do I need it?  Don’t – but it is classy.  

I spotted a brand new roasting pan, small one, the same as the one I currently have.  But, mine isn’t burned out or dented.  Let someone else have that good find.

There was furniture; I tested out a wing chair – too low; gosh I could hardly get up!

There were linens, and toys and old clothes.  I walked on by.  I have plenty of that “stuff” at home I need to get rid of.

Then I spotted something.  It had a heart shaped cut out as the basis of the handle and I hadn’t seen one in years.  It was dark wood, well made and in pristine condition.  It was a drink carrier.  You had a place to set drink glasses on both sides – held in by the raised edge.  It would carry 4 or 6 rocks glasses easily. In my mind I was trying to think who in my family had one; I remember seeing one when I was a child visiting an Aunt and Uncle.   It will come to me – not at the moment, but I’ll think on it.   Yes, a nice heft.  Yes, very pretty, again no price tag.  I will haggle with the people near the entrance to this Yard sale party!   Three items and I only stopped to look.  Let me get out of here before I drag too much stuff home.

When I got to the exit area I was handed an envelope.  The lady said, “There are no prices marked, you pay what you feel you should pay.  It is a donation to the church to do good works . . . .”

I smiled to myself thinking,  ‘AHHH what a sales tool.’

How do you haggle with GOD?  You simply can’t.  I dug deep in my pocket thinking of how much wealth, health, and talent God had given me over the years.  I paid twice what I thought would be the price at an ordinary yard sale.  But, HEY, it was for the work of GOD; Money well spent in my opinion.

Back home I researched the “I dare you!” by Danforth on the internet. [You can download it PDF on line or buy a new one; how interesting!] It happens to be a motivation and success book that ranks up there with “Think and Grow Rich” by N. Hill and “How to Win Friends and Influence People” by D. Carnegie, among others.  I have the latter and read it once a year, just to see if I am on track.

So, “I Dare You” fell into my hands today – Is that kismet? I will read it carefully and apply its science to the shortcomings I discovered about myself on my drive. There is a diagram with PHYSICAL, MENTAL, SOCIAL and RELIGIOUS around a square.  YES, we will investigate more and I will probably BLOG you about my findings.


No comments: