2016 INDEX

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

October 19, 2016 - Have you ever watched leaves fall off trees in the Fall?






Years ago it took me half an hour to capture a falling yellow maple leaf half way between the foliage on the tree and the ground with a 35 mm camera.  I made multiple attempts and dozens of shots all the while my mother was looking on amused by the “artist” in me.  I finally got one, but I had to be very patient.  That picture would be worth digging out of my photo album for closer scrutiny and to dust off that sweet memory.

 It was on a trip to visit my parents in New England – yes, my New England where I was born.  Once you are away for a few years and then go back during the Fall season you are wowed to your toes by the color.

I have always been extra nice around the locals down here in the fall when they tell me how glorious the fall foliage is in North Carolina, and sometimes I want to roll my eyes.  I am trying to be polite, but I am painfully biting the inside of my cheek in order to be the good daughter my mother raised.  “Don’t say anything at all, if you can’t say anything nice” rings my mother’s advice.

If you want to see ‘real’ fall foliage - you have to compare New England’s fall foliage with the rest of the United States and then you will see for yourself that New England is where you see the best color of your life. [My opinion.]  YES, I am a foliage snob [New England for me] and a food snob [No fast foods I beg you.]  I admit it; honestly I am a snob of many ilks.

I challenge you to actually sit under a tree and quietly watch the leaves fall off the tree.  Watch each leaf.  Watch how one leaf twirls and floats softly on the subtle stir of wind and eventually comes to rest on other fallen leaves or the bare ground.  Do this for an extended period of time and you will admire the most amazing choreography of leaves dancing on the breeze in the golden fall sunshine.  Falling leaves make a performance so fine you really should applaud or maybe even give them a standing ovation.

Do I sound over the top?  So, have you actually watched leaves fall?  No, you haven’t have you?  You haven’t had the time – you’ve been chasing your tail with a career or family or, whatever.

I challenge you to do it this year and you will find you will do it every year.   It is intoxicating. If you are so lucky as to have a leaf actually land in your lap; consider it like one of those sticky gold stars your teacher used to put on the best papers in the class.

Art Lesson 101:

I actually did the following at the law firm in Spartanburg, South Carlolina, where I worked as a paralegal.  Traditionally I went out to eat every other Friday as that was ‘pay day’ and it was my personal treat for working so hard.  Coming out of one of my favorite lunch places I noticed a maple tree in full splendor.   Yellow leaves so bright it made me want to reach for my sunglasses.   It was in front of a men’s clothing store on the other side of the parking lot. 

I had plenty of time, as I had finished lunch early and the golden sun and soft breeze was so pleasing after being in a stuffy office all morning and a too-busy lunch place.  I walked the full length of the parking lot to admire the tree which was my original objective and just to stretch my the legs.  BUT, when I got within a few feet I noticed that the leaves that had fallen were so incredibly fresh – not yet curled up – I couldn’t resist picking up more than a dozen.  The color was perfectly consistent from tip to stem and so incredibly glorious having a little bit of pink blush on some of the edges.  Each was a perfect masterpiece.

They were all as large as my palm and I stacked them noticing that slightly waxy feel to them and that ‘fallen’ maple leave smell.   I was like a little kid.  I took my handful of leaves back to work with me.

I had my own office in the basement.  I took all the files and assorted ‘stuff’ of my desk and set it all on the floor up against the wall out of the way.  I took the leaves and sprinkled them on the dark brown desk.  WOW, what a statement they made.  It made me happy, like a small child.

I then proceeded to put on my transcription headphone and started in on the afternoon’s work.

I usually would notice if my boss would come to the door, which was behind me, but I didn’t happen to notice him out of my periphery vision this afternoon because I was still privately admiring the yellow leaves tossed on my desk with that vision. 

My boss coughed to get my attention.  I turned and noticed he was admiring my maple leaf decorated desk.  He normally just set the file on the corner of my desk and left, but this afternoon he had gotten my attention because he wanted to hand the file to me. 

He handed me the file.  I took it.  He then paused and studied the desk again.  The look on his face made me think he was going to make a comment, but then the look slipped away and he quietly left.  I always wondered what he thought – I will never know – he passed away a few weeks ago.  God bless his soul, he was a great boss.




No comments: