2016 INDEX

Monday, October 31, 2016

October 31, 2016.  Hoot Owl Cookies [a technique update] and Golden Beef Stew [recipe]



          As promised, recipe for Golden Beef Stew. This relates back to the September 3, 2016, blog.

AND relating back to the October 2nd blog I’ve a few techniques to share for making the Hoot Owl cookies if you plan on making them today or for next year.

          You will need wax paper.  The best buy on getting just enough cashews for the beaks – locate the “single packets of whole cashews” that you buy for snacks.  Some of the dollar stores carry those. They are much cheaper than a can or bag of whole cashews.

          As I thought, the recipe does not make 4 dozen – it really only makes 2 or 2 ½ dozen.  Reminder:  Use REAL butter.  The recipe is old so - it has the "old" block size for Baker's chocolate.  Read the back of the Baker's chocolate carefully to be certain you are counting the blocks correctly.

          I also use parchment paper to line the baking sheet, as it makes them come out perfectly.  Depending on your oven it is 8 to 12 minutes.  Better check them at 8 – then give them more time, if needed.  You only want them to ‘lightly’ brown.

          When you roll out the center [chocolate] portion, take a tape measure* and slip it around and see what the diameter is.  Very handy in knowing how wide to make the light colored dough.  Give the light colored dough about ¾  inch more so that the connection/overlap has enough light colored dough to do the job.  This is the “make it or break” part of this recipe – take your time and think it through.  You want the dark roll to be completely encompassed with an equal layer of light colored dough.

          I make a fat roll out of the light dough on a piece of wax paper. [Same length as dark roll.]  Then I put a second piece of wax paper on top of it and squash it flat to the width I want [matching the tape measurement* above plus ¾ inch]. Then I push in the ends to make it the same length as the dark dough.  I remove the wax paper I used to squash it.  Place the dark roll on top of the light dough and use the wax paper to assist me in getting the light roll around the dark roll.  I pat it together with my fingers.  Then when it has fused together, I roll it a couple of times to make the roll smooth.  I use the two pieces of wax paper to roll it up firmly and then put it in the refrigerator to chill.

          They really need the chilling or they don’t cut well.

          I did something unusual for me. [Baked the dessert while my guest was here – not before!]

 I had a dear friend for dinner and I had made an oven Golden Beef Stew . . . recipe attached.  It is baked at a 350 degree oven.  I left the oven on when I removed the Beef Stew to rest 15 minutes before serving.  I popped the cookies in the oven and they cooked just before we were eating dinner.

It is all about “artistic” expression.

          Once your cookie dough is chilled, bring the oven up to temperature.  Make the slices, and then allow them to warm up enough so that you can pinch two slices together and make the ears as below. [I actually slice them on the parchment paper that is laid on a cookie sheet, then I don’t have to move them around too much.]

Take two of the slices and lap them together a bit, press the cashew for the beak [which will join the two lapped slices].  Then pinch the upper outside edges for ears [about 1:00 o’clock location on the right side and 11:00 o’clock on the left side].  Add the chocolate chip bits for eyes.  

My guest got to see the artistic handy craft before baking and got to enjoy the soft, warm, just baked cookies as they came out of the oven after dinner.

Golden Beef Stew – four to six hearty servings

I use a le Creuset Dutch oven for this baked in the oven at 350 degrees oven

2 ½ pounds chuck roast – cut into bite sized pieces.
[A piece should fit on a tablespoon.]
2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
5 fat carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
3 small onions or 2 large onions, peeled and cut into chunks
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into one inch chunks
4 fat cloves of garlic – squashed with a knife, skins removed

Salt and pepper
¾ cup golden sherry – or brandy
¾ cups good red wine – Cabernet Sauvignon is a good choice

On the top of the stove, melt the butter with the olive oil in the Dutch oven.  Be sure meat is dry – pat with paper towels to be certain.  Then dust liberally with salt and pepper.  Rub into the meat.  Braise the meat until some are slightly browned.

Turn off stove top.  Add the vegetables as you cut them.  Pour over the liquid.  Put cover on the Dutch oven and bake in a 350 degree oven for 2 to 3 hours.  At the 1 hour mark, check to see that there is enough liquid – depending on the weather – it could need more moisture, add 1 cup water if dry.  Every ½ hour do the same.  Don’t rush it; you want the meat to be tender.  Usually sometime between the 2 ½ to 3 hour mark the meat is tender and the liquid is pretty low.  Add 2 cups of water.  Turn off the oven or remove from the stove and let rest for 15 minutes to drop in temperature a bit.  Keep the cover on.

          Serve in low bowls with some nice red wine and crusty bread.  I allow my guests to season with sea salt and ground pepper to their taste.

          Enjoy!

No comments: