2016 INDEX

Sunday, October 9, 2016

October 9, 2016 - Usefulness is not impaired by imperfection.  You can drink from a chipped cup. [Greta K. Nagel]


          The first week I was on my new the job in Greensboro, North Carolina,  one day I spent half of my lunch hour at Pier 1 Imports looking for the perfect coffee cup.  A cup that had personality that would look like me and others would hesitate using it knowing it was mine.  Also the kind you can wrap your fingers under the handle and around the cup for warmth in cold weather.

          I found one that fit my requirements and was also my color, cobalt blue and white porcelain.   However, its pristine condition was short lived.  The very first time I washed it after use I clinked the upper edge beside the handle top and chipped it.   That chip is still there and it has been about 11 years now.  You don’t put your mouth anywhere near the chip and the chip has never discolored and I believe it was how everyone else decided “NOT” to use my cup when I wasn’t in the office.  I will never know, but that is my theory.  I often used the above phrase to defend myself against people telling me I should toss out the chipped cup.

          It is a favorite of mine because when I am using it and thinking, I rub that chip spot and ponder a thought or two for you . . . [ha ha – got you!]

          I have had many favorite coffee cups come and go over the years and I have a few interesting tales to share with you.

          My Dad died in June a few years back and the following Christmas we received in our Christmas package from my Mom an unusual personalized coffee cup.  My husband is a golfer; my Dad never had any hobbies other than his gardens.  So, when we received the Snoopy playing golf on a mug that had been personalized with the name “Poof” we took great notice. Poof was Dad’s nickname and Mom used it all the time.  So, when my Mom ordered this mug, Dad must have been on her mind and my Mom ordered what she thought was a gift with my husband’s name on it; but it came in with Dad’s nickname instead.  It was a bittersweet moment.  The cup is in the cupboard near the back, and I fish it out and use it every so often to remember the incident.  I am not sure if I told Mom or not. At the time I didn’t have the heart to do so.  I guess I will continue to keep quiet. Either way, it is a treasured keepsake for that reason alone.

          Or, the time I called my Mom and complained about my Brother-in-Law, Bobbie, who snubbed my brand new coffee cups. Bobbie and his new wife were coming for a visit and I didn’t happen to have four matching coffee cups at the time – you know how that is – you chip one, break another – two people living alone – do we really need a matching set of four all the time?  No.

          My kitchen has white cabinets and I have this affinity for Blue Delft, which is hard to get now, and cobalt blue glass ware. I found some cobalt blue ceramic mugs and bought four.  The first morning of my guests’ arrival I have all four new cobalt blue cups upside down on a tea towel near the freshly brewed coffee.  But, what does Bobby do?  He opens the cupboard and rummages around for something else and pulls out an old white coffee cup – the last mug that matches my dinner wear at the time.  He inspects it closely inside and out and then pours himself coffee.

          I was miffed and when I had a private moment I called my Mom to ‘vent’.  She laughed at me advising, “Isn’t he a military man?  He is looking for a hygienically clean cup . . . just think what he has had to deal with all those years in the military. . . .”

          She was right.  Bobby is a 20 year career Army man who served in the Korean War and the Vietnam War and retired.  Then Bobby had a second career in the Navy Corps of Engineers before he retired a second time.  I did cut him some slack now that I knew where he was coming from. However, the next Christmas my husband received one – mind you one – white mug with the family crest on it.  Bobbie knew we would never part with it, as it is the family crest; and it would always be in the cup cupboard.  Bobbie reaches for it every time he comes for a visit.

          But, my favorite thoughts on coffee cups comes from the lead crystal mug set of 4 that I got free with the purchase of Polo Cologne.  Those were the good old days – those really swell premium gifts at Christmas time!  I miss those great side gifts. 

          Back to the story – the mugs were heavy and the design was deeply grooved.  I took one to work at the law office in Spartanburg, South Carolina.  One morning the first pot of coffee brewed ran out and Mr. Evans, a tall elegant man, very polite, and senior partner in the law firm came to my office door.  I looked up.  This was a rare occasion.  He usually only dealt with his secretary, Brenda, who resided upstairs.  However, the kitchen was in the basement and I was the only person he could find. 

          “Can you make coffee?  We are out.”  He asked politely.

          “Sure, no problem.”  I jumped up and headed for the kitchen as he trailed me.

          “I really appreciate this.”  He added.  I smiled at him.  The senior partners of the firm were all Southern-gentlemen-polite compared to the young associates.

          The coffee pot had been left on the hot plate with ½ cup burning into a crust in the bottom of the pot.  I washed it out.  I quickly dumped the old coffee grounds and re-lined it with a fresh filter and added coffee.  I poured water into the coffee machine and the fresh brew process was starting to drip out.  I wiped the messy counter top down, restocked the sugar and sweet and low.  Added more wooden stirrers and finally restocked the Styrofoam cups.

          He waited patiently watching my silent handy work.

          “It will be about three minutes . . . “  I could hear my phone ringing in my office and left to answer it.

          A few minutes later I came back with my crystal coffee cup that I had washed out the night before and had put in my desk drawer.

          I jiggled the brewing basket and ascertained it was done and emptied the spent grounds and filter into the trash basket abutting the coffee station.

          Mr. Evan’s cup was awaiting the fresh brew.

          He said, “No, ladies first.”

          “Thank you.”  I pulled the full coffee carafe off the burner and started to pour coffee into my crystal mug.

          “CRACK” we heard as my half full coffee cup splits into pieces.  With my forearm I swept it instantaneously into the flanking trash basket.  I immediately poured Mr. Evan’s cup, meanwhile reached for a Styrofoam cup for myself, poured it and then put the carafe back on the burner.

          “WOW – Fast Thinking,” exclaimed Mr. Evans.  He smiled at me impressed.

          I snagged a napkin, dabbed my wrist dry and removed the minor traces of the exploding cup.

          My phone was ringing again; on the way out the door I was sipping my coffee and the youngest associate, Edward, was coming in.

          “What was that noise?” he asked.

          “You should have seen it – she was pouring her coffee and the cup exploded.  She simply swept it into the basket,” announced Mr. Evans.

          At the door I glanced back to see two attorneys starring into the waste basket at the remains of the crystal mug.

          I thought to myself – that was a first of its kind! I sure was awake and ON MY GAME this morning!  

I had a jaunt in my step for the rest of the day.


No comments: