2016 INDEX

Sunday, October 2, 2016

October 2, 2016 - Hoot Owl Cookies


Hoot Owl Cookies were a "tradition" in our house on Halloween.  When we were children my Mom made these cookies every year for Halloween.  Back then the kids from the 6  or 7 houses around us used to visit each other's house on Halloween.  It was not like it is today.  I am the youngest of three children. I have two older brothers, Al is 8 years older and Ken is 4 years older.

I don't happen to remember the dressing up part and going out trick-or-treating with my brothers, maybe I was too small, or maybe they got too old to take me, but I sure do remember the Hoot Owl Cookies.

All the parents in our neighborhood actually knew all the neighbors by name and where they worked and what they did for a living and usually knew all of the of children's names too. 

Back then all of us kids used to call our neighbor's by Mr. or Mrs. such-and-so when addressing them.  Who does that these days?  And most of us went to the same church and same schools.  

We lived in a small New England town on a very tight windy road so walking at night in the dark was not something that was done often.  It was a Rural neighborhood so there were no sidewalks or street lights. I often call it a Norman Rockwell childhood. Things were slow and safe back then. Not like it is these days.

On Halloween, I remember my Mom used to put the kitchen table in the center of the room and when the neighbor's kids came knocking she would have them come in and circle the table so that she could see what they were wearing and guess who they were.  At the door on the way out she would give them one of these Hoot Owl Cookies in a plastic bag.

I also remember there was a second treat for us kids because we got to eat the left over chocolate chips and the rest of the can of whole cashew nuts later that week. Whole Cashews were a big treat in our house.

When I lived in Delaware I mentioned these Hoot Owl Cookies to the office and their eyes lit up, so I made a batch for the them.   Not only are they cute - because the cookies are fashioned to look like the "face" of an owl - but they taste fabulous.

Attorney Rodney Don Sweet had his law license in both Delaware and Maryland. He had a two girl office at the time, and I was the secretary and Louise was the bookkeeper. I remember the Hoot Owl Cookies were a big hit that year. It was fun to have a special treat.

I am posting this recipe way in advance of Halloween so that everyone can locate the ingredients and find time in their busy schedule to make them. They are from scratch cookies and take a little bit of planning and detail work. But, your family is going to adore them.

There is only my husband and I and we hardly ever get trick-or-treat kids in our neighborhood.  However, I am in the mood. I plan on making some as it has been a long time since I have made them.  

Now that I have "dessert" planned, I will have to come up with an impromptu dinner and invite a couple of guests. Let me think, who might like a surprise supper and a cute, tasty dessert?


Hoot Owl Cookies

2 ½      Cups sifted flour
2          teaspoons double-acting baking powder
½         teaspoon salt
¾         Cup butter [do not substitute]
1          Cup brown sugar – firmly packed
1          egg unbeaten
1          teaspoon vanilla
1 ½      squares unsweetened chocolate
¼         teaspoon soda
            Whole cashew nuts
            Chocolate chip morsels

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Cream butter.  Gradually add sugar creaming well. Blend in egg and vanilla.  Beat well.  Melt chocolate, set aside to cool. Add dry ingredients gradually to egg mixture mixing thoroughly. Remove 2/3 of dough to floured pastry board. Stir soda into chocolate.  Blend mixture into remaining 1/3 dough. Chill if necessary for easier handling. 

Roll out half of light colored dough to a 10 x 4 ½ inch strip.  Shape half of the dark dough into a 10 inch roll.  Place on strip of light dough.  Mold light dough around dark.  Wrap in plastic wrap.  Chill at least two hours. [I remember my Mom did this half the night before.]

Cut into slices 1/8th to 1/4th inch thick. Place two slices together slightly overlapped on a greased baking sheet to resemble an OWL. Pinch center together slightly.  Place a chocolate bit into center of each side for “EYES.” Pinch two corners to form “EARS.”  Press a cashew nut between slices for beak. Bake in a moderate oven 350° F  8 to 12 minutes. Makes 2 dozen.   [Parchment paper may work better.]

The Hoot Owl Cookie will be two cookies pressed together with a whole cashew as a beak in the middle and ears pinched out of the lighter dough. The eyes will be chocolate chips.


No comments: