2016 INDEX

Monday, April 10, 2017

April 10, 2017 - Pavers and Sand arrived!

The patio project began today at mid morning when the pallet of pavers and the pallet of bulk sand arrived.

A couple of weeks ago I sprayed the weeds and grass in the project area.  First thing, I scraped off the residue of the weeds and grass on about 2/3rds of the project area. The last 1/3rd will need to be resprayed as the wire grass is just too aggressive and has started to re-grow.

I then ruffled up the soil and tried my best a leveling it off as it slopes. I won't be doing the "exactly level" base sand situation.  It will be a DIY project that I can admire with it's charming flaws.  It won't be perfect and I don't intend on making myself crazy over it.

I put in stakes and a line so that my starting course of bricks will be straight.  I then pegged into place two swaths of landscape fabric overlaping them.  Once I get the majority of that section done, I will peg in the rest of the landscape fabric.  I just didn't want to waste such a beautiful day on cutting and trimming landscaping fabric all day. I wanted to get to the sand laying and the paver work TODAY!

I started about 11:00 a.m. this morning and knocked off at about 4:30 p.m. this afternoon.  I got some really nice sun as I was wearing a camisole type top. I put up my tools and then hit the shower washing off all the sweat and sand and dirt.

I will take some in-progress photos tomorrow to share. I am using the basket weave paver design.  So far, it is looking pretty good and I have re-learned how to grab a pair of bricks with one hand so the last two hours went quicker.  Now that it is started, it will move along wonderfully.

And, thankfully the Kiwanza cherry tree at the north edge of the patio is in full bloom and casts lovely shade just a few feet away from the project area.  I work a bit, I rest a bit in the shade and drink plenty of water. It was in the eighties today!



Hopefully I won't be lame in the morning and can start earlier.

No comments: