2016 INDEX

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

April 18, 2017 – They can’t read their own handwriting?

        In the last two weeks I have witnessed several examples of poor penmanship or handwriting.  One person couldn’t even read their own writing.  I actually blushed with embarrassment for that person as we were at a Writer’s Seminar. They were aware we were going to pass our handwritten “writing exercise” to a fellow student to critique.  Wouldn’t you think they would have taken more care in their penmanship?

        As you can probably tell, I was taught “penmanship” by an actual penmanship teacher in grade school.  People of a certain “age” usually have handwriting skills.  Additionally, families of certain incomes have good handwriting skills.[I am not being a snob; that is reality.]

When I was in school handwriting was taken seriously.  But, not these days when everyone wants to replace handwriting with “technology”.  Typing skills versus handwriting skills are constantly being pitted against each other.

I don’t think it is a male vs. female thing either.  I once worked for an Attorney [male] who had classic penmanship.  His signature was similar to John Hancock. I actually looked forward to any change he made in red pen so that I could admire his penmanship.

From my own experience and from internet searching – handwriting skills are extremely important in order that you are successful in life. 

I found the best way to improve your handwriting skills is to purchase an inexpensive calligraphy kit and send out Christmas cards.  Learn by doing and you will be surprised how your handwriting changes when you next write out the grocery list.

What I have heard and read about good handwriting:       

Poor handwriting is the main cause of underachievement.

Handwriting is about the brain, not the hand.

Good handwriting leads to improved grades.

The pen empowers you.

Handwriting captures your personality on paper.

Handwriting aids us in our lifelong learning.

Writing things by hand makes you smarter as it improves your reading and spelling scores.

People judge the quality of your IDEAS by the quality of your handwriting – not on the content.

Good handwriting can raise test scores from the 50th percentile to the 84th percentile.

I was given a tip in college: Be sure to use your best handwriting on your essay tests – it is the easiest way to bump up your grades.

Handwriting is meditative.

Penmanship improves your creativity.

Want to know how healthy you are? Look no further than your signature.

      The last comment made me think of my Mom:

        The first thing my Mom did when she awoke from her open heart quadruple bypass surgery was ask for a pen and paper.  She immediately started to write her ABCs and 123s.  My Mom, the well-known letter writer, was more concerned about her handwriting skills than anything else in the first few days after heart surgery. 

        I was hundreds of miles away when my Mom was in the hospital, and was kept up to date by telephone calls from Dad on a daily basis while she was recuperating in ICU.  When Dad told me about her wanting to write I understood immediately.  Her whole life she has kept in touch with family and friends through her letters, she didn’t want to lose that skill.

        Below are a two websites.  The first is a 16 minute video by Jake Weidmann, Master Penman.

        The second has additoinal information regarding penmanship.   






        As for my handwriting, next I am going to learn “flourishes”.



No comments: