2016 INDEX

Saturday, April 15, 2017


April 15, 2017 – POEM:  Let’s Pay the Taxes with Asparagus



Let’s Pay the Taxes with Asparagus

I shove the signed tax return into the bill basket.
          It’s the same every year – pay, pay, pay.

I tug on my rubber garden boots, mentally scrounging
          for the money to pay, pay, pay.

Sun warms my dismal spirits.  Cut back on groceries,
          and eat lunch in so we can pay, pay, pay.

The mint is fragrant, the chives are shivering,
          and the asparagus is up! Hurray, Hurray, Hurray!

Among old stubble and encroaching weeds tender tips push through
          in response to the sun’s rays, rays, rays.

Succulent green spears, from rhizomes once planted
          in forgotten autumn days, days, days.

Cupboards bare – groceries meager. Yet, we live like kings
          on asparagus, three times a day, day, day.

Taxes mailed by deadline making us poor.  But, we’re rich
          with extra asparagus to give away, away, away.


Note:  This received Honorable Mention in the poetry division of The Anuran, a literary magazine published annually.  May 2017 by Isothermal Community College, Spindale, North Carolina.

On April 13, 2017, I was invited to the 16th Annual Poetry Slam where I "read" my above poem.  And, the judges were KIND and I won First Place, Adult Division for this author reading her poem.  YIPEE! I love competition.  I love winning!!


No comments: