2016 INDEX

Sunday, April 16, 2017

April 16, 2017 - Full Circle


Happy Easter everyone.  

Often it becomes evident that life runs in a "full circle". Today for our Easter dinner I cooked the last one of the winter squashes I grew last year.

I like the Waltham butternut squash and even with last years' late summer drought, I netted 8 of them.  I cure them in the field in the shade for several days the way my Daddy used to do making sure they are out of the sun and don't get moisture on them.

I then bring them into the house and put them on a shelf in the coldest room of the house which is the north corner.   They last there several months.  I only lost one to mold/rot.  I didn't notice there was a little nick in it and when it started to turn - I grabbed it and tossed it out.

I would like to end up with a larger yield, but I don't have that much garden space to devote to one vegetable.    All fall and winter I used them sparing on special occasions.

I peel the squash and cut it into chunks and steam it so that it stays moist and flavorful.

Today, I took the last one off the shelf and it cooked up lovely for our Easter meal.

Then, just like clockwork . . . in the afternoon I went out and planted a slightly longer row of Waltham butternut squash in soil that I had worked over last fall and topped with pine needles so that it would be soft and ready for planting. I used the last one and I planted the seed for the new ones on the same day . . . FULL CIRCLE.

I still think it is a bit early here - calendar wise - but not weather wise.   Some of my gardening friends have already planted their beans [probably pole, yet I only grow bush beans].  I am not too excited about planting warm season crops this early as I have lost too many to frosts [even when they are covered].

A Southern gentlemen attorney gave me this tip about planting tomatoes here in the south in order to win against those "surprise frosts" in Spartanburg, South Carolina, which is 35 miles south of here. Divide up the number of tomato plants you want to have by 4.  [I usually put in 8 so we will use that number.]


Two weeks before Easter, plant 2 tomatoes
One week before Easter, plant 2 tomatoes
Easter weekend, plant 2 tomatoes
Week after Easter, plant 2 tomatoes

That was his working theory during his many years of gardening that he shared with me and I followed suit successfully.

However, this year I am breaking ranks and I am putting in all 8 tomato plants on Easter Monday as I am expecting rain.

Easter Sunday afternoon I also put in cucumbers, yellow squash, zucchini squash and both yellow and green French filet bush beans.  All the "warm season" vegetables that are "large seed."

It never fails.  I go to a lot of care to have nice fingernails for Easter Sunday and then that afternoon I simply can't keep my garden gloves on when I plant seed - I want to "feel" the smooth slippery seeds as I plant them with my bare hands, poking them into the rich soil 1/2 inch to 1 inch depending on the seed.

I always think they are truly "God's splendor" as so much healthy harvest comes from such smooth shiny seeds.

No comments: