2016 INDEX

Saturday, January 13, 2018

January 13, 2018 – Notes that were worth keeping - garden notes

         Going through my files I ran up on some interesting notes I had written down in long hand when I was reading a gardening magazine or book years ago.  [From the look of my handwriting and the yellowing of the paper it was many, many years ago.] Unfortunately, I did not take down the full reference and I apologize for that upfront.  All but one I will need to indicate are “unknown author”. 

As a gardener, I am pacing back and forth looking out the windows wanting to get out there in my dirt. If you are a gardener, I think you might agree the sentiments were worth keeping as I share them with you during these rainy days of January. 

Your garden is for you.  Before you start to grade and smooth your lot to conform to neighboring properties, consider retaining the natural ups and down that give distinction to your land. Then face your garden inward for your own pleasure rather than toward the street to please the passerby.

Gardening is a continuum.  We are never done with it nor would we choose to be.  Each small triumph generates another effort.  We discover other applications for a theory and extend our efforts from trees to shrubs to plants to paving. The days roll happily from one new spring to another.  The more you learn of detailing, the more you want to know. As in all garden art, there is no saturation point.

Search for private satisfactions.  Create special pleasures for yourself.

Trees are basic.  They people our gardens like actors in a play, playing major and minor roles.

         All good thoughts. Lastly, the only one I actually attribute to an author:

Architect, I. M. Pei, in speaking of light, “There are always surprises.  When you work with God, you can’t go wrong.”

I’ve always feel I am with GOD when I am out in the garden.







              

No comments: