2016 INDEX

Thursday, January 18, 2018

January 18, 2018 – “You can afford it.”

         I had just started a new job and I had to be “parked” at a branch location because Human Resources had hired me, Title Insurance Trainer, at the same time they hired the State Counsel (attorney) for the Title Insurance Company. 

         We both couldn’t show up at the small office and be indoctrinated at the same time.  Of course, the attorney, with the top pay and top billing, was installed in the office first and the Office manager shuffled me off somewhere for safekeeping for a week and sent me off bag and baggage, with an armful of work, to an affiliate to work.

         Lucky me! No, actually it was lucky me, as it was fun working alongside young people who were new to the industry and when they asked me a question I had a definitive answer which sort of made me feel smart as I actually had real title insurance answers.  It wasn’t a case of being smart, I’d only been doing it for 20 years, and I had 20 years of experience and the young staff had about six months’ worth.

         I learned how they were doing everything the modern, electronic way and that was a real eye-opener for me.  The internet is a great thing and they were taking advantage of it big time.  I learned some serious tricks from their little modern toolbox that I have used since.  [I miss that working out in the public in the real world – I feel I am getting technologically sluggish not out there with young people it is huge drawback in retirement.]

         I had my rolling computer bag and I had to stay in touch with the new office during the week.  By mid-week I had figured out the best way to “keep it together” – my computer, phone, phone charger, my purse, my keys, my hair brush and lipstick – all the stuff a woman carries around and needs but has nowhere to put.  I dumped it all into a stylish 14 x 16 inch carryall.

         From then on, I rolled my computer bag with the carryall looped around the handles everywhere I worked or visited.

One day I and a young agent were discussing automobiles.  I was explaining I needed to get a new one as my electric windows no longer worked and the complete dashboard was blank.  I was complaining about the price for a “mother board” for my dashboard.  I didn’t want to put the money into my current car as I also would need tires or brakes in 6 months.

         “You can afford it,” he said.

         “What are you talking about – I am as poor as a church mouse,” I answered.

He was incredulous.

“You’ve got the money. Any woman who carries a Louis Vuitton bag has the money,” the young man said and reach over and taped the corner of my carryall.

         He laughed and chanted, “Louis Vuitton, Louis Vuitton.”

         I finally had to ask him, 

         “What are you talking about?”

         “Your bag!”

         “This?” I picked up the carryall.

         “This was given to me from someone who came back from Korea on vacation.  This is not expensive.”  I explained.  I was clueless.

         “May I,” he asked taking the bag to look it over.

         “You are right, it’s an imitation, no initials on the zipper pull, the design doesn’t match on one side – but it is a really good imitation.” He answered and handed it back to me.

         “So, what is a Louis Vuitton?”  I was still in the dark; I assumed it was just a brand name.

         “Oh, let me show you,” he twirled around in his seat and showed me on the internet a “real” one and I gasped at the price tag.

         Any time I had to visit that branch office he always would look to see if I my ‘Louis’  was looped on the handle of my rolling computer case and comment on it. 

         “Louis Vuitton, looking good,” he would say with an amused smile.

         I always smiled back wondered why a handsome young man knew so much about women’s fashion accessories.

         Could it have been his girlfriend had “rich” tastes?


        

        


No comments: