2016 INDEX

Sunday, January 28, 2018

January 28, 2018 – The Silver Bell

         Among the many things, my Mom left me was a diminutive silver bell.  It had been in the china cabinet sitting on top of a piece of paper with my name scrawled on it.  Tarnished from non-use for a few years, it tinkled cheerfully when I lifted it to verify it was for me.  It is a little treasure and I describe the sound as ‘pixie bells’ after my Mom’s not often used nom de plume.

         Even tarnished, the handle has a smooth, well-worn feel to it. I immediately tucked it in my box to bring home.  I don’t know the history of it – a gift or a purchase, but it was used by both my Mom and Dad during their convalesce periods.  I know it was used during Dad’s recuperation from gall bladder surgery, or Mom’s long weeks of broken leg convalesce, or colds and flu over the years. One would ring the bell and the other would come to give assistance, fetch something, or fluff the pillows.

When I unpacked it, I first set it on my bureau and slowly it migrated to the hall then eventually to the kitchen table.  At Christmas time, I gave it a good polish and parked it on a bookcase in my writing office.  Often when I am near it, I simply lift it and give it a little pixie-bell ring.  Yes, Mom’s little bell needs a special place and I have not yet decided on one.

This week, my husband came down with the flu and I brought him a tissue box, a bag of cough drops and the little silver bell.

He tried the bell and said, “It must be broken, I don’t hear a thing.”

I smiled and said, “I can hear it loud and clear, you are just deaf.”

He still didn’t believe me.

That is when I said, “I’ve got dog ears, you might not hear it, but I sure can.  Ring it and I will come.”  I tucked him in bed for the night.

Later I woke from sleep hearing a feeble tinkling of the bell.  I jumped out of bed and went to him.

“What do you need?” I asked.

“Nothing, why?”

“You rang.”

“No, I didn’t.”

I noticed the little bell had rolled about two feet away from where I had placed it.  I surmised he must have knocked it over when he was rolling over.

A simple system of ring and someone will come and it won’t work in this household.  Even one sided – him deaf and him ringing for me to come is better than no system at all. But, he won’t go for it, since he can’t hear it, he has no faith in it summoning me.

What a shame. Now that I know he can’t hear it at all, I can ring it, ring it, ring it to my hearts delight.



No comments: