2016 INDEX

Monday, January 8, 2018

January 8, 2018 – Bubbler

         I was born and lived in Massachusetts until I was 22 years old. I call a water fountain or drinking fountain a “bubbler”.  It never fails when I am in a public place [non-restaurant] and I did not bring a bottle of water with me that I get a little tickle in my throat and a cough drop or mint won’t do the job and I need to find water.  In my haste I ask,

         “Where is the bubbler?” and continue to cough or clear my throat.

         “The what?” is often the reply.

         Then I croak out,

“Water fountain, drinking fountain?” as my explanation.

When I return from their water fountain or drinking fountain and I have my voice back, there is usually a lively discussion about the regional differences between all three names.

Just in case you want to know how unusual and limited the regional difference is for the word bubbler, Joshua Katz has a link that shows 22 examples of most of the disparaging words with a color coded map of the United States.  He indicates bubbler is reserved more for the Wisconsin folks and Rhode Island.  I think the word, bubbler, must have spilled out to the north to include Massachusetts where I used to live.  It is a fun website with 22 maps. The link is below.


But, that is not why I chose this topic today.  It is January, and everyone is in the “diet mode”.  Just about every “self-help” channel is touting the need for everyone to drink more water.  Yes, that is all well and good.  When you forget to bring your bottle of water, how much water can you actually drink in from a bubbler or a water fountain or drinking fountain?  It is messy; I gulp in more air than water and usually end up with hiccups.  And, then everyone talks about how “unsanitary” bubblers can be or are.  Me, I don’t want to know the real answer to the last sentence because I still drink out of them when I’ve a tickle in my throat.

And, as I usually do in January, I straighten or clean drawers and closets.  My yearly round of getting clutter out of my life turned up a misplaced item that is an especially sweet and useful gift from my Mom. 

During my busy career, Mom always listened to my subtle health complaints in my letters to her.  Mom always wrote back suggestions from her own personal experience in dealing with the situation or ailment.  You could equate my Mom’s suggestions to those given by what is now called “a physician’s assistant or a nurse practitioner.”  My Mom’s advice was on point the majority of time because she was informed and widely read.

The gift was a one of a kind that only a loving Mom would send.  A stainless steel collapsible cup that when closed is housed in its own durable stainless steel case.  You can pop it in your pocket book or brief case or lunch box.  I’ve taken it on picnics and most vacations.  It is a wonderful little treasure. You can easily keep in your desk drawer, or the console of your automobile.  It is a handy little item.  A little note came with it – “Drink more water, your dull headache might be because you are dehydrated.”  And, she was right. As soon as I drank more water, the headaches disappeared.  The phrase, “Mother’s always know,” fits my Mom perfectly.



“Yes, Mom,” I said out loud this morning as I moved it to a more convenient place so I can take it with me when I am go to classes or meetings and don’t want to lug a bottle of water with me. I can pop open my stainless steel cup at a bubbler and take care of my throat tickle.

If you don’t happen to own one, you might want to add it to your “shopping list” as it is wonderful thing to own or makes a perfect gift.




No comments: