2016 INDEX

Thursday, January 25, 2018

January 25, 2018 – “What do they call male ladybugs?”

         Recently I heard that line spoken by a young girl on television.  I don’t remember if it was advertising a nature channel or what, but I filed it in the back of my mind under: Good question.

         Like many other people here in the Southeast, we have ladybugs slip in through window cracks and they congregate at night near lighted ceiling fixtures.  Our ladybug infestation localizes in the master bathroom and doesn’t bother me as I think it is a blessing of good luck.

         Ladybugs, actually beetles, are good luck symbols the world over.  In the garden, they feast on pests like aphids.

         When I watch the movie, Under the Tuscan Sun, there is a wonderful scene between the characters Katherine and Frances:

         Katherine speaking to Frances:

“When I was a little girl, I used to run around in the fields all day, trying unsuccessfully to catch ladybugs.  Finally, I would get tired and lay down for a nap. When I woke, I’d find ladybugs walking all over me.”

         No matter how many times I see that movie, I always pay particular attention to that scene.  I love the thought of it and the implication that we often have to wait for something wonderful to come our way.

         The other night I noticed ladybugs everywhere, ceiling, walls, floor, as I was pulling on my pajamas in the bathroom.  I turned out the light and crawled into bed.

         I was just dozing off to sleep when I felt this bite on my inner thigh.  I jumped out of bed, turned the light on and pulled off my pajamas. There I found a ladybug had been trapped in my pajamas and a red welt on my skin.

         I may not have an answer to the question, ‘What do they call male ladybugs?’ but, I can say I know from personal experience, they certainly do bite.


         

No comments: