2016 INDEX

Friday, January 26, 2018

January 26, 2018 - Edward Elgar’s Sospiri, Op. 70 [1914]

         Often, I switch my Direct TV to Chanel 866, Light Classical, and let the musical carry me away while I am cooking, cleaning, blogging or whatever.

         I am not sure under what rock I have been, but the above-captioned piece was new to me until a few weeks ago when it suddenly appeared in the lineup of the music I listen to. Below is a link if you are unfamiliar with it. -  Enjoy.


         But, this isn’t the only piece of music where I have been under a rock, maybe the same rock, that I eventually discover.  Great music is found in lots of interesting places including commercials. [My husband notices those.]

When I hear some of my favorites listed below, I usually just drop what I am doing, and close my eyes and enjoy.  The music transports me elsewhere.  I can’t imagine what it must be like to actually be a musician and play an instrument or create music.

         I’ll toss out a half dozen examples to make my point:

I adopted Nadia’s Theme by Henry Mancini, the theme song from The Young and the Restless, as my wedding song. The only one who really knew where that came from was my grandma, Madeline Nixon, an avid fan of the soap opera. I rarely hear it now a day, but when I do, I stop and smile to myself and pity anyone in the room. I wistfully tell them it was my wedding theme and the poor dears don’t know what to say in reply.

         The theme from the movie, Laura, (1944) by David Raksin is another favorite. Anytime TCM has the movie on, my husband and I watch it again, and again mostly for the music.  It may be a black and white film, but it is stunning.

The theme from the movie The Ghost and Mrs. Muir [1947] by Bernard Herrmann I especially like when the waves crash on the beach eroding the wooden sign over time.

Another movie, The Big Country (1958) starring Gregory Peck and Jean Simmons [music by Jerome Moross] is another great movie we watch mostly for the music but also for the great scene of Charlton Heston yanking on his britches before the fist fight scene. We wonder, did he have any toe nails left?

The theme from Out of Africa [1985] by John Barry usually moves me to tears at some point in the film.  I consider it a long [tissue box] movie and I don’t watch it too often as I want to forget enough of it between showings.
        
Actor Tom Berenger in the movie Someone to Watch over Me [1987] is introduced to this music as he watches over actress Mimi Rogers. I got my first taste of Lamke - Flower Duet – from this movie and then went on a wild goose chase tracking it down.  One simply never hears it often enough.

The theme of the movie, Schindler’s List, [1993] by John Williams, I used to listen to the soundtrack during my long commutes to and from work.  I mentally disappeared and was often surprised to find myself magically at my destination.

 Lastly, the most recent one, the soundtrack of the movie Cold Mountain [2003] by Gabriel Yared moves me along with the incredible cinematography vistas. I hate to admit how many times I’ve watched it – thank goodness no one is keeping count.

Maybe the next time we say to someone, “Enjoy the view,” we should change it up and say, “Enjoy the music!”


No comments: