2016 INDEX

Monday, November 14, 2016

November 14, 2016 - Hot Cocoa weather!



          When we were growing up we got to drink “hot coffee” when we were young – not as teenagers but – children.  Scandalous if the neighbor’s found out we were drinking coffee!  We weren’t allowed to tell anyone. It would stunt our growth.  Well, it didn’t stunt me; I grew to 5 foot 7 ¼ inches.  That is a major feat when you consider my mother was about 5 foot 1 when I was a teenager and she seems to have shrunk a few inches now that she is in her 90s. 

Not only did we get coffee, but we also got Hot Chocolate and Hot Cocoa.  There is nothing more luscious than a Hot Cocoa on a chilly night.

There is a difference between Hot chocolate and Hot cocoa.  Hot Cocoa is made with water and a little milk or cream and sugar and Hot Chocolate is made with cream or milk and sugar, so it is richer and creamer.

Tonight’s forecast of 37 degrees had me dig in the cabinet for my Baker’s Cocoa Powder.  But, let me start this story back a little bit.

Christmas time last year . . .

. . . . on a dreary chilly day after church, a friend dropped in and I was just about to make Hot Cocoa. I asked if she would like some Hot Cocoa. She was expecting me to open a packet of “Swiss Miss”.  But, she got the surprise of her life when I pulled out the can of Baker’s Corner unsweetened Baker’s Cocoa.

“What’s that?” she asked.

“Cocoa powder,” I answered.  

“I use Swiss Miss,” she mentioned.

“I make the “real deal” with cocoa powder,” I answered.

I lined up two large coffee mugs, and spooned in a huge tablespoon of cocoa powder into both mugs, and then I added ample sugar.  The tea kettle was boiling.  When the water came to a boil I added hot water to one fourth from the top of each mug. 

My way is much like making instant coffee.  It is fast and has a rich chocolate flavor and costs pennies compared to “Swiss Miss”.

“I like marshmallows,” she almost whimpered.

I rummaged around in the cabinet and actually came up with mini marshmallows [My cat Jasmine goes wild if she gets a whiff if them!]

I stirred the sugar to melt, and then added Cremora to the way I like it.  I served it and she was surprised at how good it was.  She was even more delighted when I gave her a handful of mini marshmallows to float on the top of hers.

“Why use the Cocoa powder when Swiss Miss comes in the packets.” She asked, the white foam from the marshmallows clung to her upper lip.

“Because it is cheaper, and a can of this lasts 4 times longer than a box of Swiss Miss.”   That clinched it for her.  She was always on the hunt for a bargain.

“Where did you get this?”  She asked when we started comparing the portions versus cost.

“Aldi’s grocery store, but you can only get it around Christmas time until they are out of stock.  They don’t carry it all year round.”  I advised her and I showed her the can.  

“See, there is nothing in it except cocoa powder; one Tablespoon is 10 calories. Can you say that when you are using “Swiss Miss” – their label might surprise you?

“How long will it last?” she asked.

“I keep my in the refrigerator – lasts about a year.” I answered

“Next time you are at Aldi’s – will you pick me up a can?”

“Sure,” I answered.

I guess I sold her on the advantage of Hot Cocoa made the old fashion way, like my Mom used to make.

Was it the taste or the cost factor?  Who cares, next time I will introduce her to the large tablespoon served with the Hot Cocoa.  You drink the first scalding one-third cup with a spoon. My Mom often did that and when I have a cold or want to especially savor the chocolate flavor, I drink [more like slurp] it from a large tablespoon just like her. YUMMY


No comments: