2016 INDEX

Thursday, November 17, 2016

November 17, 2016 -  Sunny day, cold air observations 


          On the way to church two weeks ago my husband pointed to the open view of the sky as we took the hill into town.

          The North Carolina blue sky had tic-tac-toe vapor trails across the sky made by the early morning air traffic from Charlotte and Asheville.

          At the bird feeder which is about one and one  half feet from the kitchen window there are plump titmice holding their ground as the visiting Goldfinch in their dull plumage jockey to take over the feeder.  My hands go idle in the hot soapy water.  

Yes, a grey wool sweater with pearls – very stylish - it is a fashion statement I have stolen from the titmice that are often at my feeder.

Their distinct black and white tail feathers caught my attention and I easily identified them as winter goldfinch.  When we see them in summer plumage we call them “flash bulbs” because their fliting vibrant yellow catches our attention like a paparazzi event.

I strolled down to the inactive raised vegetable garden and got a little surprise.  The single cardoon I planted last spring came through the killing frost as if it hadn’t happened.  It looked lovely with the hoarfrost glistening on the leaves in the morning sun. I made a note to research that plant more.

Then I noticed the winter goldfinch clinging like trapize artists onto the tips of the basil that I let go to seed.  They were very busy eating the seed from the long seed heads.  Even though I was rather close – they were more hungry than afraid.  I didn’t know they liked basil seeds . . . note to self: let all basil go to seed in future for my feathered flash bulbs.




 The gingko tree is spectacular this year.  They say all the leaves drop within a 48 hours period.  Well, not this year for mine, but in previous years their leaves have dropped quickly.


If you have room for a gingko tree in your yard, they are well worth it. They grow slow, are upright and the fall color is really fantastic. Their leaves are unusual – they are fan shaped. Our gingko is planted near a red blaze maple [which is disappointing to me compared to my old fashioned sugar maples] and beside a Lonicera fragrantissima [breath-of-spring], also known as Winter Honeysuckle that makes a 6-8 foot mound.  It blooms in later winter – I will tell you  more about that in a future blog.


When you walk near the gingko tree the fallen yellow leaves create a beautiful gold carpet on top of the dull red maple leaves.  This morning I scuffed around the bush and tree twice – just to admire the contrasting leaves.

Then I heard the honking of the morning flight of the Canadian geese gliding down the valley from the lake on the other side of the hill to the pond down below my house.  Their perfect “V” and their sound I will never tire of.  [I promise to tell you about my first wedding anniversary and the Canadian geese one day in a future blog.]



Have a beautiful fall day!



         


          

No comments: