2016 INDEX

Sunday, November 20, 2016

November 20, 2016 – The Rosary Beads


          “Aunt Peanuts gave me this to give to you. They were Grandma’s favorite.”  Mom said as she placed an old lace handkerchief bundle into my hands.

          “OH!”  I said excited.  I pulled the bundle open and held up the glistening crystal Rosary Beads for my husband, Mom, and Dad to see.

          “Where did you get those?” demanded my Dad.

          “They were grandmothers.” I answered.

          “I know, I gave them to her.” He answered. Then he added mysteriously,

          “There is a story behind those.” 

          “And” I quizzed.

          “She’s dead now, so I guess I can tell the story. I bought those in a pawn shop in Paris. Mother never knew.”

          We were all silent hoping for more explanation.

          He continued, “I had just gotten to Paris – we were stationed there building up troops before the Battle of the Bulge.  A bunch of us fellas found a nice, warm, dry wine cellar to bivouac in.  We also found some good French Brandy in that cellar which we drank.”  He said chuckling at his memory. 

He continued, “To kill time we played poker - for money.” He nodded his head watching our faces come to our own conclusions.  

“I lost just about all my pay playing cards and I took what I had left and went to a pawn shop to find a gift for Mother.  Those Rosary beads were the only thing I could buy.  I sent them to her before I was moved up to the front.”

He shook his head saying, “I’ve never told anyone till now.”


No comments: