2016 INDEX

Monday, November 28, 2016

November 28, 2016 – Glazed Shallots - recipe     



          I tested out a new recipe for my husband’s birthday dinner yesterday and it got a rave review from the birthday boy.

Glazed Shallots – By Molly O’Neill

Serves 6

1 ¼ pounds (about 36) small shallots peeled
½ cup white wine
1 cup homemade or low-sodium chicken stock
1 TB sugar
1 tsp Kosher salt
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
A few grinds of black pepper

Step 1:

In a skillet large enough to hold the shallots in a single layer, combine the shallots, wine, stock, sugar, salt and 2 Tablespoons of butter.  Place over high heat, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the liquid evaporates and the shallots are very tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Step 2:

Raise heat to medium high and cook, shaking the pan frequently, until the shallots begin to brown and are coated with a thick syrup.  Remove from heat and add the final Tablespoon of butter, shaking the pan until it is melted and incorporated.  Serve immediately.


However, below is how I actually prepared this recipe.  I basically use recipes as a jumping off point and it came out lovely with my pared down version.

I made it for only two people.  I counted out 8 medium shallots.   I cut off the stem ends first.  Then I sliced the shallots in half with the skins on.  I peeled the skins off both halves.  I trimmed the root end ever so slightly with the objective of keeping the root end intact while ridding it of any root debris in order to keep the cut in half shallots from falling apart when cooking. [ Also part of my objective – less cooking time with them flat side down – Note: I do this with Brussel sprouts also].

I used 1 Tablespoon olive oil and 2 Tablespoons of butter.  I melted that in a low wide stainless steel sauté pan until it bubbled slightly.  Then I placed all the shallots flat side [center cut side] down.  I added salt and pepper freely. 
I did not use sugar – I personally find shallots are sweet enough when cooked.  I didn’t have any chicken stock available so I omitted it.  But, I did use the white wine.  My theory was, if the pan was getting shy on liquid, I would add a touch of water to carry me through.  But, the shallots were very fresh and didn’t require additional liquid.  I kept close by during the cooking to monitor the liquid/shallot juices in the pan.

Over medium low heat – covered, I let them simmer.  In about 10 minutes they were done.  I did not stir them or toss them. I turned off the heat and left them covered while – I was waiting on my mashed potatoes to finish cooking before I whipped those.

A minute before serving, I brought the shallots back up to heat – medium high  removing the cover and excess liquid came steaming off.  A minute or two and they were lovely coated shallots with no excess liquid.

The cooking time was much less due to cutting the shallots in half, and possibly letting them rest [turned off] in order to get the final delivered-to-the-table timing right.  And, possibly cooking less shallots than the 6 servings in the recipe cut the cooking time down.

As a future dish:


I believe I will do this again, but next time, make a larger batch and serve it over hot egg noodles and possibly garnish with a dusting of grated hard cheese like Romano.  Serve it with a winter salad on the side and a nice glass of red wine.  I would call it a “simple country peasant meal” – since that is what I am – a simple country peasant!

No comments: