2016 INDEX

Sunday, November 6, 2016

November 6, 2016 - Christmas Cookies



          Our church is having a “cookie walk” . . . I had never heard of that phrase before.  I equated it to one of those walk-a-thons to raise money for a cause, but I couldn’t figure it out – walk for cookies?  How would that work?  Big fat question marks floated up in my mind.

          Then, the phrase “cake walk” – something easily accomplished popped into my mind.  Well, I wasn’t the only person confused by the phrase “cookie walk” and eventually an explanation paragraph was inserted into the parish bulletin.

          For anyone who is confused, obviously I must be in the minority on this subject, there are cookies for sale at various tables around the room and the customers “walk around the room” selecting their cookies and pay for them at the door for $8.00 a pound.

          Mark the date:  November 19, 2016 – Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. “Specialized festive and ethnic cookies will be available.”  Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, 1024 W. Main Street, Forest City, North Carolina.

          OKAY – I now get it.   This all depends on the “volunteer” cookie bakers.  Our little old ladies in the church are dwindling and I felt I needed to step up to the plate again on the “volunteer” squad.  I signed up for two types of cookies.  My Shortbread cookies and my Anise Toast cookies [Biscotti]. [I am actually going to make three – I’ve a surprise cookie I have never tried before – hopefully it will come out.  More on that in a future blog.]

          The shortbread cookies have a snow flake design and I thought that would lend itself to Christmas cookies as well as shortbread cookies ARE the heaviest cookies to make which will improve the profit margin for the church’s fund raiser, [Aren’t I a smart cookie?]

          The other cookie, Anise Toast is from a dear friend, Kay Fuda.   God rest her soul.  Kay was the driving force behind our “first” Church Cookbook.  And, she always came to the Ladies’ Guild Meetings with a clean joke.  She died way before her time.  I miss her, but she ‘lives’ in my heart.

          She was what you call a “wicked” baker.  Her pecan pie was to die for.  But, she was so generous she gave me the Anise Toast [Biscotti] recipe.  I was at her house, I was having coffee and she brought out a plate with these cookies on it.  First bite – I was in love!   I asked for the recipe expecting a “no – they are a secret” – but, she stood up, reached for one of her favorite recipe books, opened it up and said – “sure”.  She even got me a piece of paper and I copied it down between delicious mouthfuls.

          You know how you get a recipe, tuck it away, and then eventually get around to making it.  Well, this one – I made within a day or two, once I located the “cake flour” which I wasn’t yet acquainted with.  I had to make these delicious confections for my husband, just to get his reaction. 

          These cookies are not HARD as a rock like the ones you buy in the store.  You control the hardness [or softness] by the second bake.  I only cook mine until they are light brown.  I want to be able to “sink” my teeth into them without the crumbs falling down the front of my clothes.

          And, these are “raccoon sniff” cookies. [See my blog on November 4, 2016] for explanation.

Anise Toast
[Biscotti recipe from Kay Fuda]

Sift together three times and set aside: [You can’t skip this per Kay.]

2 ½    Cups sifted cake flour
2        tsp. baking powder
¼       tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour two (2) cookie sheets.

¼       Cup soft butter or regular margarine [I have only used real butter.]
1        Cup sugar
3        Eggs
1        Tablespoon Anise Extract

In a medium bowl with portable electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter with sugar until very light.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in Anise extract.  Add flour mixture, beat at low speed until blended.

Divide mixture in half.  Spread each half on a cookie sheet 11 x 5 inch oval.  [I pour-scoop out  ½ of batter onto center of each cookie sheet.  Then I lift the pan and tap it on the counter to settle the dough – then lightly spread it in an oval.  I don’t overdo this.]

Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until pale golden brown.  Remove from oven. Cut into ½ inch thick slices – take a sharp knife and slice across the entire oval.

[I find my smooth edged large cake spatula works better than a serrated knife.] If the cookies stick to knife – not cooked enough – return to oven for a few more minutes. [Try tapping top of dough to see if well set  [cooked enough] before slicing.] 

Turn each slice on its side.  Bake 10 or less or until lightly browned.  Remove slices to wire rack and let cool completely.  Makes about 30 to 35 cookies.

Enjoy!


No comments: