2016 INDEX

Saturday, November 5, 2016

November 5, 2016 – “Forever” stamps 

          Forever, as in standing in line forever for stamps?

          Forever finding the post office closed due to “new hours” of operation.

          OH, they mean ‘forever’ the same price that you paid for them until they raise the price.  Oh, to be so lucky to have any stamps left at the lower price when the higher price takes effect.  I have not yet managed that money saving trick, I actually use stamps.

          Or, the forever- in-my-mind that I wonder about the person who stands in line for 15 minutes to buy one – yes ONE - stamp.  They look well enough off to buy a book or 4 or 6 stamps to tuck away in their wallet. Don’t they think they will ever use any more stamps in the next year?  Since they obviously don’t need to use stamps often don’t they know it will be a bargain to get more than one at today’s price as the next time they may need one stamp it will probably cost more than now? 

Between the change of address people and the buyers of money orders, and the occasional package shipper, there are actual stamp buyers.

Occasionally I see the #10 stamped envelope purchaser where he [usually] gets the envelope with a stamp already on it.  This person is on a mission.  He buys the already ‘stamped’ envelope, slips his hand in his breast pocket, withdraws what he wants to put in the envelope, tucks it in, seals it and quickly writes the address from memory, and then casually tosses it at the Postal Clerk for them to put in the outgoing mail.  That is efficiency to be admired as well as it piques my interest as it seems so mysterious, melodramatic, or sinister. 

  It always reminds me of the movie, Maltese Falcon, where Sam, the detective played by Humphry Bogart, checks the package [the mysterious Maltese Falcon which is shabbily wrapped] at a bus terminal and then efficiently mails himself the stub.  Wasn’t that a rather clever ruse for a black and white movie of the 1940s?

I no longer see the business people anymore with the Pitney Bowes machines that need to be re-charged, as just about everyone has gone to on-line stamps.

I often see the white haired little old ladies who come in for their book of stamps.   They choose between several types and always say something sweet like, “My grandchildren will like these,” as she pays.  Yeah, they probably like the interesting stamp on the birthday cards, but not as much as they like the rectangular “In God we Trust” printed paper that is slipped between the cover of the card embellished with her “Love Grandma” signature.

The most entertaining of the stamp buyers are the young brides picking out what they want on their envelopes for their wedding invitations and/or RSVP envelopes.  Not only are they decisive, but you hear them suck in air when they hear the total amount for the quantity of stamps they require.  This will probably be the only time a millennial will actually use the post office.  I’ve heard that they are doing their wedding invitations via email or twitter or something else and the Etiquette guides are condoning it?  I am still shocked over that one.

Then there is me, the crazy women who actually still corresponds via ‘snail mail’ and sends hand written letters.  I also send inspirational cards to people I know that are having bad times.  And, I simply LOVE the non-traditional holidays for sending cards.  St. Patrick’s Day – that is my favorite.  Who doesn’t want to be wished some Irish blessing or sent a Kiss of blarney?

And, you probably have guessed it by now, I am very particular about my stamps.  Earlier this summer I ran up on some really nice BOTANICAL ART stamps.  Different types of flowered Forever stamps.  Well I used most of them up, I’m down to last half of the sheet of 20. After waiting in line at a time when there was no “card mailing” holiday within a month and a half, and it seemed the line was taking FOREVER, I was informed that they didn’t have any in stock. 

Of course, they offered to show me something else. No, I wasn’t going to settle for something else.  I drove to the next post office and went through the same “people watching” queue and ended up without stamps again.  

So now, another, Forever - being out of the “botanical” stamps I wanted.

I was on my way to the third post office in what is commonly called the “Tri-city” area, Forest City, Spindale and Rutherfordton, when I had a brain storm.  Yes, even I get a brain storm once in a while.  Time is money.  No, I wasn’t going to drive to another post office to be told they didn’t have any.  I had already expended travel time and 15 minutes in a queue twice.  I wasn’t going to do it a third time. 

I went home and ordered them on line – got exactly what I wanted and they shipped them for $1.25.  Yes, time IS money.  I solved that sticky problem.


Now, I have a new version of Forever Stamps – no wait, no hassle, and exactly what I want – on line USPS.

No comments: