2016 INDEX

Thursday, December 14, 2017

December 14, 2017 – “A shopping EXPERIENCE with a capital E.”

This blog is a complete “FLIP SIDE” to the miserable experience I told you about in yesterday’s blog. Today’s title is what I call the new store; it is something new and unusual, refreshing, different and just, OH MY, lovely.

A week or so ago a close friend suggested the next time I was down that way – east of here on Highway 74 in Shelby, to stop in at Lidl. I am still not certain how to pronounce Lidl, but I did happen to notice the new store was open two trips ago to Shelby and at the time, I didn’t know what kind of store it was and I was pressed for time and zipped right by.

         “ . . . a shopping experience . . .” was the catch phrase Becky gushed when she described it.  I trust her as she is a ‘shopper-extraordinaire’ friend and knows my shopping habits and preferences.

         I even enjoyed this ‘shopping experience’ with my husband in tow, which was surprising as he was as impressed as I was.     The entrance off Highway 74 is a little tricky, but the parking is more than ample.

         Coming into this cheerful, upscale grocery store, the fresh produce screamed at me and I turned and caught sight of fresh flowers that looked good enough to eat.  Without hesitation, I snapped up a fresh, huge bouquet of Chrysanthemums for only $3.99. My darling husband looked at me and rolled his eyes . . . I had set the tone for our little shopping spree.  I pointed to the price tag on the flowers and he smiled – even he knows a good price when he sees one.  We were off to a good start.

In less than 5 minutes, I concluded it will be worth driving to Shelby just to drop in and get a bouquet of fresh flowers in the winter and a few other items to chase away the winter doldrums.  We are retired now, we have empty weekday mornings or afternoons to do such things.

         The was a Lidl free holiday magazine near the front door with recipes and ideas and a handy map on page 8-9 giving you the layout of the store. [All their stores share the exact same layout.]  OH, that is a comforting thought for shoppers like me.  Their by-line is “rethink grocery” – “for the extraordinary ordinary ones out there”.

         They stole one of my pet phrases - extraordinary ordinary - how clever of them.

         I will be returning as they gave me $5 off my next $30 purchase between 12/14 and 12/20.  Not really because of the $5 impetus, but because of the great buys and quality of what I’ve picked up so far.

         We strolled up and down every aisle and looked at everything and picked a few choice items.  This morning’s breakfast included the center cut bacon we snagged at a wonderful price of $3.69 [hardly any fat].  We picked up a couple of ‘house Christmas’ gifts at a bargain from their Lidl surprises section.

      Wonderful French mustard for 99 cents – tested already on a sandwich.
      Incredible Earl Grey tea with bergamot flavor in those pyramid tea bags – 20 bags for $1.99 – stunning flavor, let me tell you for that price.
      Canned soup for 45 cents a can – husband bought two for a test run – no comment yet.

         I picked up a few things here and there, but mostly I mentally filed notes of excellent prices, varieties, and quality.  Then we strolled down the last section:

      six-pack of European Lager for $5.99 – bargain – husband’s pick
      Bottle of wine from Provence - $7.99 – saved for Christmas Eve dinner – my pick
      Nougat Seashell chocolates – house Christmas gift

         If you can’t find something to wet your whistle it must be because you can’t make up your mind due to the large selection and reasonable pricing.

Near the cash register, they have excellently priced large Amaryllis bulbs that I had to pass up only because I have already planted my Christmas Amaryllis display pot.  But, next year, I will re-think my Christmas shopping list and maybe buy some as last minutes gifts.

Some may hesitate, as the new Lidl is a short ride to Shelby, because we have a slightly similar and convenient Aldi’s right here in town. 

Maybe that is why Aldi’s renovated all their stores this last year . . . serious competition was in the wings. 

Free enterprise competition – how wonderful for us consumers!

I think Lidl is going to give Aldi’s a run for their money at least by the consumers that are willing to take an extra 25 minutes or so to drive to Shelby.

My two tips to you:

1.    Be sure you take your sunglasses, because you will need them for your drive back into setting western afternoon sun.
2.    Bring your own strong shopping satchels as they charge 10 cents per bag just like Aldi’s if you think 10 cents each will break your bank account.


No comments: