2016 INDEX

Thursday, December 21, 2017

December  21, 2017 – The crystal bride's basket

         “I love that Mom . . . can I put flowers in it?”  I begged.

         “That is the only wedding present I have left,” Mom cautioned as she brought the crystal basket down from its safe place on the top of the china cabinet.

         Then Mom retrieved a glass frog from a kitchen drawer, set it in hollow of the crystal basket, and set them on the kitchen table.

         Me, being only six at the time, expected that we would carry the basket outside to gather the flowers, but we didn’t.  Out in the spring garden we picked whatever was in bloom and brought the flowers to the breakable crystal basket.  Mom patiently showed me how to trim the flowers with the leaves and wedge them into the glass frog so that they would stand up.  It was the first of many flower-arranging lessons.  Flowers in the crystal basket were reserved for special occasions and always when Mom was there to guide me or Mom arranged them herself.  Each time she would remind me that it was the last of her wedding presents.  I am sure she must have told me who gave it to her, but I’ve forgotten.

         As I took the crystal basket down from its new safe place on the top of my kitchen cabinet, I noticed my Mom’s handwriting on the label on the bottom denoting its new owner – “Tess” – that’s me. I thought I should remove that label, but decided not to as I will be the only one who knows it is there. When my husband saw me standing on the step stool retrieving Mom’s crystal basket he called,

         “I was wondering when you would use it . . .”

         Every Christmas time I make traditional holiday green arrangements for intimate friends and myself.  It is a simple country pleasure cutting one’s own greens from my landscape shrubs and trees and creating something beautiful.

         This will be the first occasion of the crystal basket’s use now that I own it.  Not only does it have childhood memories, but it has my wedding memories.  My Mom took it to the Dutch lady at the Dutch Flower Shop a few days before my wedding.  Thankfully, it was safely returned brimming with a white fresh flower arrangement to adorn the wedding buffet table.  I was surprised Mom had let it out of her sight; but I guess that is what Moms do in order to have the “perfect wedding” for their daughter.

         I must say, I am out of practice arranging in it.  I’d forgotten I have to “think” around the upright handles.  Now, it is filled with fresh evergreens and red berries that add bit of color.

         “You’re not giving that away?” My husband gasped.

         “No, it is for us.” I said softly shaking my head at his silly idea.

         “Where are you going to put it?”  He asked.

         “Right here – up close and personal for us to enjoy.” I set it gently on the coffee table between our TV watching chairs in the living room within touching distance.

         Yes, Mom, the only wedding present you had left is simply lovely filled with Christmas greens. I am glad it survived your lifetime and I’ll take extra special care of it.

          


           

No comments: