2016 INDEX

Friday, December 22, 2017

December 22, 2017 – J. C. Nichols Memorial Fountain, Kansas City, Missouri

         Our first married Christmas we lived in Overland Park, Kansas and it was the “in-thing” to go down to Country Club Plaza at night when all the stores and buildings were outlined in lights and go Christmas shopping.  There was a big Hallmark Store down on the Plaza and I remember buying a red cardinal ornament.  To this day, it graces every Christmas tree we have.

The Plaza was beautiful all lit up.  As I was born and raised in the country, I was thrilled with it all especially the famous fountain.

         When my parents came to visit the next summer, I showed them around the city on a sunny weekday while my husband was at work.  I took them to the famous J. C. Nichols Memorial Fountain on the Plaza and parked my car in a ‘no parking’ zone thinking we could get away with stealing a few minutes on a weekday as there was no traffic and few people around.  I just wanted a snapshot of them in front of the famous fountain.




         At the time, 1978, I had a new 35 mm camera and I am slow at doing the focusing thing. [I actually had to go to camera classes to learn how to use it.] I told my parents to smile and my Dad raised his hand and said,

         “But . . .”

         I replied, “No but, put your hand down and smile.”

         “But . . . ” Dad said again and now he is pointing.

         “No Buts, put your hand down and both of you smile.”

         ‘Click’ goes my camera and I take a second shot.

         Just then, I hear from behind me,

“Excuse me.”

I turn and a police officer with a big smile presents me with a parking ticket.

         “No Buts, you are parked in a no-parking zone,” The officer said.

         “That’s what I was trying to tell you,” Dad lamented as we quickly got in my car and left the area.

         Now that I think of it, the ticket was well worth it – as I have a great picture of my parents as well as a story to tell about the famous fountain on the Plaza in Kansas City, Missouri.  If my memory is correct, I believe it was a mounted policeman, horse and all.

         Anytime Kansas City comes up in the conversation, I love to tell my story to get a smile or a chuckle.  I bet more parking tickets are written near that fountain area then the rest of the city.

         Below is a link to the fountain and some information.



LOCATION:
Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd. & J.C. Nichols Pkwy.
Artist/Designer: Henri Greber
Dates: Sculpted in 1910; Installed in 1960
Description: This fountain is the best-known and most-photographed of all of the city’s fountains. It is located at the east entrance to the popular Country Club Plaza district. The figures were sculpted by Henri Greber in 1910 and adorned the mansion of Clarence Mackay in Long Island, NY. Over the years the fountain was vandalized and eleven parts were missing. The Nichols family initiated the purchase and installation which was funded by the family, the city and private contributions including a collection by school children in the Kansas City area. It was brought to Kansas City in 1951 and refurbished by Herman Frederick Simon and dedicated in 1960. The J. C. Nichols Memorial Fountain has four heroic horsemen which are said to represent mighty four rivers of the world: the Mississippi River (fending off an alligator), the Volga River (with the bear), the Seine and the Rhine.
The fountain underwent an extensive renovation in 2014 funded by the Miller Nichols Charitable Foundation.


No comments: