2016 INDEX

Monday, December 25, 2017

December 25, 2017       Baked Stuffed Shrimp – Recipe

         Holidays equal food – most of the time.  We are no different.  I like to make something special for us for Christmas Eve after Mass and something else for late Christmas Day afternoon/evening meal.  No, we don’t have a bunch of friends and family in for Christmas.  All these years I have been like a guard dog about our “alone time” for Christmas weekend and I like it that way.  It makes cooking easier on me and we get to spend quality time.

         Today I will share a recipe with you that I had to dust off – haven’t used it in years.  As a new bride, living in New England I begged and mooched this recipe from Mrs. Paul McCumber, a fabulous cook.

         Once I got the recipe, I shared it with my Mom and she made it often, but she changed it up using the crumb stuffing for haddock or split lobster tails. It smells wonderful while it is cooking – that is the sherry.

         Me, I was too cheap this week to buy both the shrimp and scallops, so I will be replacing the scallops with quartered and sautéed mushrooms.  I advise you don’t skimp on the sherry – that is what makes this dish.

Baked Stuffed Jumbo Shrimp

Plan on 3 to 4 Jumbo Shrimp per person [for Entrée]
Less for appetizers

The following is the crumb mixture that you spoon on top of the shrimp you have peeled, deveined and butterflied.  I set them out in a nice design in a shallow casserole dish for a group or individual casserole dishes for entrée.

I cut the crumb recipe down to size for the number of guests I am having.  This makes enough for a party.  A wonderful make ahead dish that you cook when your guests arrive.

2       Cups seasons bread crumbs
1       Cup unflavored bread crumbs
2       Cups Ritz cracker crumbs

Mix together dry ingredients

1       Pint fresh scallops diced
½      pound butter
2       cloves garlic diced fine
1       Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½      cup sweet sherry or Sweet Vermouth – possibly more depending on the dryness of the crackers and crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut garlic fine and sauté with butter and scallops until opaque.  Add Worcestershire sauce, sherry, salt and pepper.  Let cool.

Add dry ingredients – mix and refrigerate until slightly stiff.

Put a heaping Tablespoon of stuffing on each shrimp. Just before baking, brush each with melted butter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes [A bit more for pieces of haddock or lobster tails.]

Serve with Lemon Wedges

Bon Appetite!

Merry Christmas everyone.




         

No comments: