2016 INDEX

Thursday, December 28, 2017

December 28, 2017       After Christmas Sales

         I never was one for after Christmas sales.  However, I was on a mission yesterday to buy a new pair of shears [to cut cloth] and I did get my 40% discount at the store even though I am technically illiterate.  I can report I did find one store that is customer service oriented and I was successful after I drove 40 minutes to the store even though I didn’t get the hang of pulling up a coupon correctly on my new Smartphone. The cashier was most accommodating about my blunder and figured out a way to make it work.  That cashier earned my goodwill and I will return to that store more often because of her great customer service.

         I am jealous . . . I just got a new Smartphone and I am not SMART.  This is going to be a serious learning curve.  Eventually I am sure one of my shopping-savvy friends will show me how to get a coupon on my phone so that I can have it swiped at the store.  But, so far, I haven’t figured out how to do that.  I think a “hands on” lesson will be the only way.

         But, that is not what I had in mind in today’s blog.  Everyone I saw was out in droves looking for bargains.  Me, I have never gone in for after Christmas sales.  I’ve never found any Christmas cards on sale that have the right saying – usually all that is left are the ‘Happy Holidays’ and I want my cards to convey Merry Christmas.

         I am also particular about wrapping paper – I never see anything I like after Christmas.  At this stage in my life, I really don’t need any more ornaments; what I really need to do is pack up some of my ornaments and find them a good home for next Christmas.

         And, I am insulted by department stores that give you 10% off $39.99 sweaters on December 23rd and then expect you to be delighted to buy the same sweaters for $7.99 on clearance on December 26th.  Why would you buy anything at $35.99 when three days later the same item is now $7.99.  That simply rubs me the wrong way.  Doesn’t it rub you the wrong way?  And, I’ve heard of people saying they do all of their next year’s Christmas shopping the week after Christmas to get items at 20% of the original cost.

         But, here is my question.  Doesn’t anyone actually try to give gifts that (a) fit? (b) might be the right color or size (c) or something the person might like?  What happens if “Susy” gets one of those $7.99 sweaters and it doesn’t fit – she can’t take it back next year after Christmas, now can she?  Is this “bargain hunting” after Christmas sales fueling the popularity of “re-gifting” or shopping in thrift shops due to the unused and unworn items? 

         I find after Christmas shopping is lost on me unless you were given Christmas greenbacks and told – “Go out and find you a good bargain, or something I couldn’t find you, or something you want, or something you don’t actually need, but want anyway.”

         Me, I limit myself to “use-up-ables” or non-holiday gift items that I was too cheap to buy myself in season or can be put to good use in the next week.

         My frugal shopping included the following examples:

1.             a Phalaenopsis white orchid – half price.  This year we never saw a white cyclamen to buy, so when I saw this orchid sporting 7 blossoms and 5 buds in quality condition, I snapped it up at half price.  From experience, I know the orchid will bloom for weeks and feed my soul and help chase away the January cabin fever that I know will descend upon us.

2.             $2.49 Gingerbread cookie mix for .99 cents. A good deal. My Snowman cookie jar has been empty all Christmas Season; I need to fill his belly.  I know this little Christmas Elf will need cookies to sustain her while she takes down the Christmas decorations. Besides, I have more time now than before Christmas.  I can cut them into heart shapes instead of Gingerbread men and freeze most of them for Valentine’s day.

3.             A frozen seasonal entree item now on sale that I wanted to try, but was too cheap to pay full price.  If I like it when it is prepared, maybe next year, I’ll pay full price.

If you are the bargain hunter type, I hope you found wonderful finds that tickle you to your toes.  Me, I’m going to bake some cookies instead.

          


No comments: