2016 INDEX

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

December 26, 2017 – Lobster Newburg Vol Au Vents - Recipe

         Few days ago, I talked about the crystal bride’s basket that my Mom had filled with white fresh flowers for my wedding buffet table.  I was thinking about the food that was served that day and it was Seafood Newburg.  [My Grandmother Nixon’s recipe.]

         Christmas has always been a fun time for me in the kitchen and when opening gifts.  Mom would always call in August and ask what I might like for my birthday.  I would give her several ideas.  If something didn’t materialize for my birthday in September, it was probably hard to find or on back order and would show up at Christmas time. My Mom was a big catalog shopper. [So am I].  Often I would mention something for the kitchen.  

         Many of my friends know I also have a love affair with “heart shaped” things.  My Mom knew this  as well and would find something that was heart shaped as well as for cooking.

         I happen to own a Heart shaped Vol Au Vent cutter only because my Mom found it during one of her Senior Citizens shopping trips somewhere, or she ordered it out of a fancy chef’s catalog.

         Traditionally, I now make a Vol Au Vent of some sort for Christmas.  What is nice about a Vol Au Vent is you can use it for a dessert or an entrée.  You make them ahead and then you fill them.  I call that easy cooking that looks “top shelf” and classy.

         Last year I made “Chicken and mushrooms in sherry cream sauce” Vol Au Vents and I had an impromptu guest who was impressed. But, what she didn’t know – that was simple cooking.

         This year, I decided on Lobster Newburg Vol Au Vents using my Grandmother’s recipe with a nice winter salad on the side and.

Seafood Newburg
Serves 12

Again, it is all in the sauce – you can decide how much of each type of fish you want to use.  I will impart the recipe as written out for me.

1       Cup crabmeat flaked
1       Cup scallops [parboiled 5 minutes]
1       Cup cleaned cooked shrimp or lobster
1       Cup haddock, skinned and boned
1       Cup salmon or tuna
1       cup sliced sautéed mushrooms
1       small jar pimento
½      cup butter
6       Tablespoons Flour
3 ½   cups rich milk
1       cup light cream
3       egg yolks
¼      cup sherry

Prepare seafood and set aside. Cut into bite sized pieces – set aside

Sautee mushrooms in 2 Tablespoons butter.

Prepare cream sauce by melting 2 Tablespoons butter in a heavy pan or large double boiler.  Blend in flour, stir in milk and cream and cook until smooth and thickened.  Season to taste with salt and pepper and then add the seafood, pimentos, and mushrooms.

As the seafood is already cooked, you are just bringing the Newburg up to a medium-hot temperature [do not allow to boil].  Just before serving, add the slightly beaten egg yolks and sherry, and stir well.

Serve on toast or patty shells or Vol Au Vents.  Serves 12


ENJOY

No comments: