2016 INDEX

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Cheap thrill


January 16, 2020 – Cheap thrill

         This year, unknown to my brother Ken, I plunked an eight-inch clay bulb pot in the garden.  I sunk it so that the top of the rim would be the same level as the soil level of the garden.  I filled it with fresh potting soil, and planted six Hyacinth bulbs in it and topped it with more fresh potting soil.  I know where it is, wander down to the garden, and check on it every couple of weeks.

         The objective – in February when the green tips of growth start to show, I will lift it out of the garden soil, haul it to a warm area – probably the back of the house and put a plastic cellar well over it so that it gets late afternoon warmth to bring it along. I’ll turn it every couple days so that the growth will be even.  When the pot has about 2 to 3 inches of growth, I will bring it into the house and watch the explosion of color in the next few weeks and enjoy the beyond-comprehension-fragrance that fills the room.

         It is called the art of “forcing bulbs” and should be in every gardener’s repertoire.  Paper whites and hyacinths are easy.  Read up about them at the link below.

         A week or so ago, my brother, Ken, mentioned he’d gotten a hyacinth vase with a hyacinth coming along, I smiled and said I hadn’t seen any in a few years.  The next day, I fell over a new shipment of them at Aldi’s and snapped one up.  Cheap thrill at $2.99 each – which is less than a Starbuck’s Latte.


         If you’ve never experienced one of these – it is worth twice that price.  The bulb sits just above the water and when the roots grown down during the cooling period, they come in contact with the water and long white roots grow.  I suggest you keep it where you can watch it daily.  I keep mine beside the coffee maker in front of the kitchen window, which does get bright light and a glimpse of afternoon sun.  I turn it daily so that it grows straight.

         When it comes into bloom, the fragrance will knock you out.  A fragrance I cannot find the words to describe.  But, once you’ve smelled a hyacinth, you’ll recognize it easily again.



         A few years ago, a girlfriend came to visit me in early spring, and before she even said Hello, she asked, “What is that fragrance, where is it coming from – show me.”  She hadn’t even mounted the steps to come in.

         “It is just the hyacinths,” I answered and joined her on the steps in bare feet in early spring and proceeded to walk up the sidewalk to a small display of “Delft blue” hyacinths, which are low to the ground – maybe 6 to 8 inches, abutting the curve in the sidewalk.

         “Just those made that much fragrance?”

         “Yup,” I said softly breathing in the heavenly scent of pending spring.

         “I want some of those,” she said.

         I am not one to cut hyacinths – as they are fleeting in the vase, so I wasn’t about to share what was in bloom or coming into bloom that year.  Besides, I had relatively few in my garden.

         “You buy the bulbs in the fall and plant them.”

         “Oh,” she said disappointed, as I have experienced that sound of disappointment before by non-gardener friends.

         It is a case of buying bulbs in the fall and shoving them into the gloomy, wet, fall soil, which is contrary to half of the population as they think gardening is done for the season.  Not so for the real gardeners – the ones that plan ahead and work the magic of the gardener’s calendar.  Bulb gardeners are optimists.

         We take a lifeless looking bulb and shove it into cold ground, cover it and pat the soil over lovingly and know we will get something exciting in the spring – crocus, daffodil, hyacinth, tulips . . . countless flowers from dozens of different types of bulbs.

         This morning, the hyacinth near my coffee maker came into fragrance.  I carried it over to my husband’s nose and he said, “ahhh”.

         We will have several days of “sniffs” and “ahhs”.  Check at your local flower shop or fresh market to see if you can snag one to enjoy. If not, make a note in your calendar to buy fall bulbs so that you can join the optimist club.

Below is an excellent source of bulb forcing.


One cannot plant enough daffodils in one’s lifetime. - TYS



No comments: