2016 INDEX

Sunday, January 5, 2020

“The devil is beating his wife”


January 5, 2020 – “The devil is beating his wife”

         I mentioned to a friend yesterday while I was driving that the sun was out and the rain was pouring down. [Yes, illegal me, talking on a cell phone while driving on a back road.]

         “The devil is beating his wife,” was his reply.

         “What,” I asked.

         He repeated it, “The devil is beating his wife.  That is what they say around here.”

         He is a true Southerner – born and raised here and I didn’t doubt it, but I had not heard that remark before even though I’ve been in the South for several decades.

         Wikipedia indicates:

“A sunshower or sun shower is a meterological phenomenon in which rain falls while the sun is shining.  A sunshower is usually the result of accompanying winds associated with a rain storm sometimes miles away, blowing the airborne raindrops into an area where there are no clouds, therefore causing a sunshower.

        I have witnessed very few sunshowers in my lifetime, today was one of them.  However, several times I have witnessed rain coming down on one side of the house and the other side not a drop.  I’ve actually stepped in and out of the rain back and forth for fun – hopefully it brought me luck, too. 

         Weather often amazes me – and the folklore about the sunshower was so unusual that I am sharing it with you.


         Below is a link to the Appalachian Magazine: 



"The price of anything 
is the amount of life you exchange for it." 
- Henry David Thoreau


        

No comments: