2016 INDEX

Friday, January 3, 2020

Spice up your life!


January 3, 2020 – Spice up your life!


  
       After doing lots of baking at Christmas time, my pristine spice cabinet was a jumbled up mess.  I pulled all my spice and herb jars out of the cabinet, lined them up on the kitchen table in alphabetical order, and wiped down the interior of the cabinet.

         I am one of those that keep her spices and herbs in alphabetical order.  I have to shuffle them if the husband does any cooking, but he is being trained to just leave them on the counter top, and allow me to put them back.

         I keep a dated inventory list taped to the inside of the spice cabinet door.  It has been a while.  As I toss out items, I cross off items on my old list.  Update the list and tape it back after I’ve put everything back.

         Some herbs and spices I hardly ever used and were out of date as well,  I easily tossed them.

         I now buy spices in the smaller sizes because I can use them up quicker which keeps my herbs and spices fresher longer.  Yes, they can be expensive; I always go to my inventory list to be certain I don’t buy something I already have. The list comes in handy when my husband call out,

         “Where is the nutmeg, are we out of it?”

         “No dear, the list on the inside of the cabinet indicates we have it in stock and you will note the plus sign [+] beside it – means we have more than one.  Can’t find it?  I’ll locate it for you – they are in alphabetical order.” [Gosh I have four fresh bottles of nutmeg, is he in a Ground-Hog-Day Loop with the nutmeg?]

         He can’t stand it that I am organized in certain areas of my life.  Me, I can’t stand not being able to find whole cloves when I am in the middle of baking a ham – because I know I have them, and I have little no patience!

         My Mom used to say, “If you tend to the little things, the big things will take care of themselves.” 

         My spices are ready for another round of cooking soon – Valentine’s Day is coming fast!

         Today was a good start to 2020; what cabinet or drawer am I going to clean, straighten up next?

         I hope I have inspired someone – I’ve inspired myself – looks so neat and clean!

        

         TIP: Bring a magnifying glass to this project, as the expiration dates are teeny-tiny!

         McCormick spices have small jars now and they have a great website to advise the length of time you should keep them.  A good rule of thumb, sniff test and color.

        

No comments: